SeaClone 100 For 55 Gal

vtecbro007

Is they ne way i can put a seaclone 100 on top of ma tank because ma edges r too thick (pic) i need help on wat type of protein skimmer ill need because i dont hav a sump yet im using a fluval 403 canister filter!

mande51334

cool lookin tank!! unless you've already got it, i wouldn't go with the seaclone 100 speaking from experience, it sucks, not literally, thats the problem!! i very rarely get any action out of it!! i would go with something different

vtecbro007

yea wat would u reccommend becauase i found a place selling da seaclone 100 for $60 (i was thinkin its a steal)

zooper

I used a seaclone for 2 years on a 55. It worked with help from me. I would clean it, it would work ok for a week or so, then stop producing foam. I'd have to pull it off, pull it apart and clean the J-tubing periodically too in order to have it back to working ok. Lastly, knowing how long I'd had it, I started to not trust that J tube, where it connected into the base of the cylinder part (outside the tank). Its just held by friction.
I just got a AquaC Remora Pro (more expensive) but AWSOME! It seemed highly recommended on this site. The Pro maybe more than enough for a 55 but since someday I want bigger I went for it. The old thing of, saving money in the begginning often costs you more in the end. (seaclone)

zooper

oops, not sure it would hang on back that tank.:thinking:
they make the "urchin" for sump use.
bye

saltymist

Looks like that tank is made for a sump, so I would advise to go ahead and get the sump, then get a skimmer that is made to go into the sump. It looks like it's already drilled on the back, so if your not going to do a sump, then youll have to cap those off. But I dont think your going to find a skimmer that will fit on that lip. Probably have to cut the acrylic lip down to make a skimmer fit on there.
But personally, I would just wait and buy the sump, pump etc and set that tank up the way it was designed before cutting anything myself.
My seaclone works great now that I've modded it, but it worked okay for the price of it originally at $79.00 on sale locally.
Good luck,
EDIT:
After a little more thought, it looks like top plate is thinner on the sides, then at the front or rear, so it might fit on the sides, but you'll have to measure to be sure. Other than that, you could modify the seaclones piping if you wanted to. You could basically cut the intake tube on the straight section, and either use a flexible aquarium hose with a hose clamp, and then run that over the top and connect it to the powerhead with the other piece of connector. See crude drawing:
AND DO AT YOUR OWN RISK BECUASE IF ONE OF THOSE HOSE CLAMPS COMES OFF, YOUR GOING TO PUMP OUT QUITE A BIT OF WATER FROM YOUR TANK TO YOUR FLOOR.

vtecbro007

saltymist when u say u hav modded ur seaclone wat do u mean i wanna get it because its cheap lol i love cheap $70 either ppl love it or hate it so i dont no which one ill be!

saltymist

I cut down the internal tube inside of it to about 3", then added an 3" limewood air difuser to the main reaction chamber with some rigid air line tube, then hooked up a dual outlet airpump to the air difuser. Then I swapped out the stock air regulator for the seaclone with a cheapy airline regulator (the kind you get in the LFS for like $1.79 for 5 in a package), which allows a more precise regulation of the air/water that is going through the stock maxijet powerhead.
If I didnt already have the airpump, a cordless dremel tool to cut down the tube, and the airline regulators, then I probably would have just gone out at bought an aquac remora for my tank, because on the newer seaclones the inner tube are neigh impossible to remove, or to remove without breaking so a cordless dremel tool is almost required to cut down the stem.
Though you migh tbe able to skip cutting it down and just try it with the added air stone and airpump to see what happens, but since I cut mine first, I didnt have a chance to test it with just an added airstone to the reaction chamber.
Hope that helps,
Theres lots of information on the reefcentral dot com website regarding modding the seaclone, look in the forums over there, not there diy articles on the home page because it's outdated and slightly wrong.

mande51334

Zooper, you're using the Aqua C remora PRO on a 55? how's that workin for ya? I wasn't sure whether to go with the remora or the remora pro for my 55. is that a HOB skimmer?

zooper

Yea its a HOB. I like it alot, now its only the second one I've ever used. I went with the pro just in case in the future I wanted to go bigger, like around 90gallon or so...however I did realize that if I end up going with a refugium/sump someday (I like what I read about them), then I would either be putting it on the side of the sump, or slightly modifing it to sit in the sump..i.e..longer hose from pump to intake and creating a stable base for it.....and since I'm not actually working towards that, HOB it is, and it doesn't seem like a big deal to mod it or HOB it later.
I went with the Mag pump, why? because it seemed to be recommended by others...but then again, you'll read a couple speak of problems.:)
I went with opptional drain fitting...I'm glad I did. You run a hose from the opeining of the collection cup to something..my case a bucket. I'm still breaking it in/fine tuning the amount of "collection"...and on more than one occasion, my bucket was half full....not of gunk, so much as tank water. That would have all been on the carpet (in my instance)!
I also went with the preskimmer box...I admit its big, real big. Necessary -I don't know, Expensive -oh yes, pulls gunk off the top -yes. I have it, and am happy with it. WOW this is really long now....to sum up, you plug it in, and you have foam galore immediatly. Maybe I can show a in tank photo....more of an experiment to see if I know how too..don't hold your breath waiting.