seaclone 100 skimmer??

aquaria

i would also think it may prefilter the dirt and some crude that may fall back into the tank, but without it i guess that most of it would go into the collection cup.
thanks

laredo300c

wait a minute....let me see if i get this right.......valve all the way open..almost to the point of falling off.....take the spongy prefilter out...is that the one connected to the powerhead????????

aquaria

i took the foam off, and have the valve all the way open, but all its drawing is clear fluid not dirty type fluid. Should i change the setting??
thanks

redbora

check to make sure the body of the skimmer has a "tornado or syclone", you basically want to adjust the valve just so there is one.....that's how I set mine

aquaria

with the valve all the way open the cyclone is very strong at the bottom, but get smaller on the way up.

frankthetank

These protein skimmers work great. Mine is open about half way. But the foam thingy needs to be cleaned about every two to four weeks.

aquaria

my only problem is that the cup fills up every hour with clean water?? lol
i got to play with the valve settings.
thanks

frankthetank

Originally Posted by aquaria
my only problem is that the cup fills up every hour with clean water?? lol
i got to play with the valve settings.
thanks
I think you have it turned on too high. Lower the valve setting until you just get a little foam. Then run it for 24 hours.

redbora

Originally Posted by FranktheTank
These protein skimmers work great. Mine is open about half way. But the foam thingy needs to be cleaned about every two to four weeks.

wow, you got it to work with the foam, i think your the first person i've heard of so lucky to do so, i've tried doing the cleaning, but it never got past a day before it would stop skimming
but yea, like he said, turn it down, you want to get to the point where if you turnned it down a spec that the spinning stops, turn the valve slowly though

frankthetank

Originally Posted by redbora
wow, you got it to work with the foam, i think your the first person i've heard of so lucky to do so, i've tried doing the cleaning, but it never got past a day before it would stop skimming
but yea, like he said, turn it down, you want to get to the point where if you turnned it down a spec that the spinning stops, turn the valve slowly though
I was looking at mine just a minute ago after typing this up. I really probably only have mine turned up maybe one full turn from completely closed. I think I see most people's problem. If I turn mine up too much, it seems to stop pumping a full dose of water. Try to turn it up until you see just enough "white" in the intake tube. That seems to be my best setting. It works fine from there and I empty my cup about every 4 or 5 days.
I have had mine for about 4 or 5 weeks and I really need to clean the foam up. I just hate to have to take it off. I have been siphoning it when I do my water changes to clean it off some.

slugg3r

I found that the Seaclone did not work well as a HOB skimmer. Too hard to set right always getting either microbubbles or no foam. When I installed a sump I used baffles to create a constant water level and put the skimmer in there up on some eggcrate and it started working very well. I get very dry foam that needs to be cleaned out every 3-4 days.
On the whole I wouldn't recommend the skimmer, but in a sump it seems OK.

lukemeister

I just gave up on my Seaclone this week. I constantly have to fight with it. I don't think they age well. My Seaclone 150 is/was on my 75 gallon tank, and it worked great when I first got it. It's been about 1.5 yrs now and it is just not the same. I have to clean it more often, and it gets more picky by the day.
I found the best mods to make mine work right were to take the sponge off the intake and to put a seal/o-ring under the collection cup. Without those two mods I can't even get mine to foam anymore.
Either way, I just bought an AquaC Remora Pro off E-b-a-y for a very good price, less than $100, so I would suggest that instead since that's about what my Seaclone cost. I haven't gotten the Remora yet but from what I've read I'm already assuming I'll like it much better.

pogi pants

yeah, i wanna get rid of mine. it's such a p.o.s.! out of the last year and a half it's only worked right for about 5 to 6 months. other than that, it's been a pain. does anyone know of any other good brands to get?