seaclone berlin ?

bzolnowski

hello, i installed this protein skimmer on friday. i had to unplug it today as it was just sending too many bubbles into the water, i was concerned for the fish and now dont know what to do, any thoughts? how do i know if its too many bubbles for the fish?

david s

most skimmers have to break in just turn the air or the flow down and let it run after it starts to break in turn it up more

bzolnowski

thank you for the advise, when adjusting it, will keeping it more closed or more open help with the high volume of bubbles?????

dreeves

Bubbles wont hurt the fish.
As mentioned...you may just need to adjust it, fine tune it for your specific situation...

aarone

Bubbles wont hurt the fish.
not true. The really small bubbles, can float around the aquarium, and get trapped ina fish' sensitive gills. Not very pleasant for the fish, and could kill it.

david s

turned down should be less bubles coming out. just look at how many bubles are coming out.less ia better

stumpdog

Bubbles do cause problems and are not a good thing. For more references you could do a search on air bubbles. From what I have read they have two drawbacks.
1. They can cause salt creep. As the bubbles rise to the top and pop the salt gets stuck to the covers, if you are using them.
2. "A bubble can work its way into the sensitive gill structure of the fish and cause problems." Thomas712 Shark
HTH
Jeremy

dreeves

Ok...how about a more concrete reference...I am not trying to be a wise crack...I would like to know the source for this information so as I may research it myself...because someone once told you this information is hardly what I am looking for, be it a "shark" here or wherever...
Thanks in advance.

stumpdog

dreeves-
Do you mean actual studies? I will surf the net and try to come up with some. So you are saying that air bubbles in the display tank are not harmful to fish? I am just trying to get this straight so I know what to look for. Any of you sharks have reference materials for this?
Thanks-
Jeremy

dreeves

Yes..actual studies...
I have observed (with joy) "flying" fish in Subic Bay, Philippines, they are out of the water for a 10-20 seconds or so...
I have observed large mouth bass jumping from the water to catch a bug...
I have fly fished...enticing the steelhead of washington state to strike on or above the surface of beautiful cobble stone rivers...
I have observed my own fish, fresh and salt alike, strike the surface for floating food, then go down and blow bubbles...
My feelings are...with this vast variety of marine and freshwater life intaking air as natural as they swim...how can it be harmful to them? I do not believe so...
That is what I base my statements on...