seaclone help

aaronat

i just bought a seaclone 100 for my 55 gallon (its been up since christmas) and there is not enough foam to go up the rising tube. the rising tube is set about a half inch above the water line, am i doing something wrong ?

monalisa

Originally Posted by AaronAT
i just bought a seaclone 100 for my 55 gallon (its been up since christmas) and there is not enough foam to go up the rising tube. the rising tube is set about a half inch above the water line, am i doing something wrong ?
Those, as well as any skimmer will take 1-2 weeks to really break in. Give it some time, keep checking where you have the venturi set at. Before long, it'll be pulling gunk.
Lisa :happyfish

monalisa

i bought it used, and i took the valve completely off to get the most air
Put the venturi valve back on and tighten it down to being completely tightened. Then slowly open it until you see the water foaming in the resevoir right under the cup...this may take a few seconds with each adjustment. When you feel that the foaming under the cup is adequate and the skimmer isn't putting tons of microbubbles into the tank, you should be good to go. If you're still getting bubbles in the tank very slowly adjust the venturi again, waiting in between adjustments until you're happy with the setting.
Hope this helps.

jmick

Seaclown is one of the worst skimmers on the market and require major modding before it will pull anything out of your tank. I suggest removing it and putting it in the garbage where it belongs and buy a more reliable skimmer....just my 2 cents.

maeistero

seaclones work if you know how to work them.
take some time and it'll work like a charm. the haters are those who don't check their tank everyday.
the mods work if you are capable.
imho as always.

mikeyfishy

Originally Posted by Jmick
Seaclown is one of the worst skimmers on the market and require major modding before it will pull anything out of your tank. I suggest removing it and putting it in the garbage where it belongs and buy a more reliable skimmer....just my 2 cents.
Pure baloney! They work fine if you adjust them per the manual!
Mike

sea keeper

I have to agree. My SeaClone works great! You do have to do some adjusting once in awhile on the valve as the above stated. I was amazed at how much junk it pulls from the tank..

fallnhorse

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
Those, as well as any skimmer will take 1-2 weeks to really break in. Give it some time, keep checking where you have the venturi set at. Before long, it'll be pulling gunk.

That is your problem...I have a seaclone and if you take the valve off you will get more air flow then water flow. You want to adjust the valve to gain the most air bubbles and the most water flow through your skimmer. That's why they come with a valve.

monalisa

Originally Posted by maeistero
seaclones work if you know how to work them.
take some time and it'll work like a charm. the haters are those who don't check their tank everyday.
the mods work if you are capable.
imho as always.
My opinion as well. I've had mine on my 37gal, transferred it over to my 46gal, and I don't have any problems with it, and it pulls yuck out like crazy.

lazypinoy

well they arent really the worst skimmers on the market as i kno of even more crappy ones. yes they do require regular checking and maintaince. i knew how to use them and i got a cup full every 2-3 days with my 150. but when my asm g-3 came well there wasnt no comparison. they just take time to adjust. i tried to aim for a str8 tornado in the reaction chamber. just play with it, until u get the best reacton in without having bubbles go into the tank. Takes timw with this skimmer.my lfs lets their SC100 air valve on full blast and somehow he manages to get dry foam like nothing.
after a good year of use, i think i finally set-it up the way it was meant to be and it works real great!
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...n/DSC00915.jpg
ps:it was only the box
...SC is an ok skimmer . hey on the bright side its better than airstones!

laredo300c

i've had my 150 seaclone running inmy 55 gal and it works fine...pulling stuff out after the first week.......heard alot of bad talk about it but i've never had problems with mine.....

lazypinoy

hey aaronat, u do that purple kush? ahah no ok, off topic. just mess with the skimmer it will work, trust me. dont be eager to buy another skimmer just bcuz some people say "it garbage!, seacrap suks..etc" its a skimmer and it does do the job. hers a pic to assure u it does.
its a pic from my last tank a 55 witha 150sclone.

alane67

ok what is that??? I really want to know. I have a sump do I need one of those??

networkguy

I pulled mine out of the box hooked it up and in less than a week it was fomaing like crazy! In fact I had a big diatom outbreak and about 3 days after I dropped my Seaclone 100 into my tank the diatoms were gone. IMO the seaclone will work fine without any modding...course the mod that I saw posted on here might make it work better. But then again isn't a modification to make it work better not worse? You don't hear about people modding a car to get less horsepower, etc... Just my thoughts and opinions sorry if anyone takes offense.
Now onto the real reason I posted...I have a 100 on my 55gal I am looking in the next couple years to go to a larger tank probably ~125 so I can get my sought after purple tang! Whats the difference between the 100 and the 150...if it's just the powerhead couldn't I put a bigger powerhead on the 100 and for all intensive purposes make it a 150? By the way my 100 currently has a maxijet 1200 on it.... any ideas? :help:

jmick

a skimmer that you have to mod and constantly adjust to get it to work is not a quality piece of equipment. Hate the idea of newbies seeing a thread like this and throwing their money away on an inferior skimmer. There is a reason you see these skimmers on ---- for $5.00. There are so many quality skimmers to choose from, a little research never hurts before throwing money away.

baloo6969

AaronAT,
Let me stress that i'm no expert. But from experience, i had 2 Clones running at once...very poor is a nice way to describe its performance. The problem is that the pump is just a few GPH too low...if the flow rate was just a bit more they would work much better skimmer. But my probelm was that when i started the tank, it was in my dorm room in college, so money was tight. Sell your clone on an auction for 50$ then scrunge up 100$ and get a better PS...the overall quality of life in your tank is essential to a good skimmer.
However if your in a bind like i was...some things to help.
1. Adjust the valve on the pump so it pumps full tilt, then adjust the venturi valve open untill the chamer is full of bubbles, you may have to turn down the pumps flow rate...this will take almost 2 weeks to get perfect.
2. if you used any sort of additives to add "slim" or declore (i used water safe when i started) it may cause some issues with getting the foam to start.
3. if you get a ton of bubbles going into the tank throw a piece of filter media on the return, over time( 2 weeks for me once) they will stop...but make sure you pull that media out every 3 days or so...it will end up being a haven for nitrates and other bad stuff.
consider throwing donating that clone to charity...or the dump.

baloo6969

Also, take into consideration where the PS is located. Since it skimms close to the surface(where most of the PT sits, you want it close to a intake on your filter or sump.
there is a natural cycle of how the water flows in your tank, make sure your skimmer isnt in a "Dead" spot on the surface where there is little water flow twards it(like water being sucked away from it)or a "Active" area where surface water is being pushed away from the skimmer.
try shutting off your skimmer, leave everything else on in the tank, powerheads, filters, and anything else that moves water...then take a styrofom(the non-bio degradeble type) and put it in the middle of the tank. and observe which direction piece goes, try it in different places too, try to find a area where the piece always goes...then stick the pump there...however it will change the water direction when the skimmer returns the water to the tank.

stanlalee

getting a little carried away with the hype you've read no :thinking: requires NO modifications to work (as clearly evidenced below). its a cheap skimmer grossly overated for tank size and while new and more effective skimmers are out NOW in the same price range it is still far from the worse on the market. mine NEVER failed to work in the year + I used it on my 30g. If taken for what it is (a skimmer with a 3" body and a 295g pump) its not that bad. If say ASM or Coralife made a skimmer that size it would probably be rated for 30 gallons. on that size tank its works well enough.

and HOB