Seaclone protein skimmer-HELP

jz-hare

It works great but it letting alot of tiny bubbles back into tank.
Anyone know a solution to reduce bubbles getting into tank?

reef46

I had that same problem with my SC100. All I did was adjust the air going into the pump. But you could try putting a sponge of some sort, or a filter bag over the return in order to reduce the bubbles. (I'm assuming this is HOB)

jz-hare

I'm think about getting a new air valve. Factory air valve is hard to tune.
I'll try filter bag see if it help. :notsure:

laredo300c

i have a 150 in my 55g......i love the way mine works......just have to adjust the knob to close and then slightly open until you see white-colored water from tank to skimmer...(white is because of air bubbles) when you accomplish this the actual skimmer tube out back should also be white-colored......when this is accomplished then the return bubbles will be almost non existant

W

weatherby

These things are a nightmare to keep tuned, but they do seem to work well.Mine often goes from throwing micro bubbles into the tank to not skimming at all.
Also, one thing I noticed was that they do require a couple days of break-in before they start working sans-bubbles.
here's what I was told and now pass along:
Unscrew the air valve and pull the top out of it. Let it sit like this for a couple minutes then screw the cap back in until it causes a large bubble in the tube. Once this happens, stop closing the valve and leave it sit right around this setting for a couple of days.... It'll throw bubbles the whole time, but soon it'll stop and you'll be able to fine tune it to generate skimate and not throw microbubbles into the DT. Hope this helps!

jz-hare

laredo300c said:
i have a 150 in my 55g......i love the way mine works......just have to adjust the knob to close and then slightly open until you see white-colored water from tank to skimmer...(white is because of air bubbles) QUOTE]
Can you please describe little more in detail please, THX!

Do you replace factory air valve?

dragracer

Ok, I just got one of these things for my 29 gallon. I have followed directions...plus what you guys are feeding me.......but I can't get it to push anything up to the collection cup......this normal??

njbeacher

I had one on my 29 and I hated it. Returned it for a Coralife SS65. Night and day by comparison and they cost the same.

madmax50

Originally Posted by petjunkie
Take it off and buy a skimmer that works reliably.
Mines been going for two years now with no problems.I adjusted once and never messed with it since.I clean out a full cup every week and once a month break it down and clean it.People always put down the Seaclone and most are just going by hear say.

findingnemo

I've had a seaclone for about a year. It took about 6 months to figure out how to make it work right. Now it works like a champ.

petjunkie

It seems to be about a 70% chance they will do nothing at all, some people do a ton of mods to improve them but they will never skim as well as a higher quality skimmer, I did have one and it took out tan colored water when it felt like it no matter how much I messed with it. Why spend $100 bucks on something may or may not work?