Seaclone Protein Skimmer

ecooper

I just want this out there for anyone doing a search on this skimmer. I have the 100 and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
I had a skimmer that actually didn't have a brand name (not that I could find) and replaced it with the Seaclone. The nameless skimmer was better than the Seaclone. There are several other people on this site recommending people to stay away from them and I would have to concur. I wish I had done a search here first.

I'm now trying to find an AquaC Remora Pro. I hear they're great for a HOB skimmer, but no one seems to carry them in stock. Looks like I'll have to order it online...

sea keeper

I have a SeaClone and mine works great. Ive had it for over 2 years and no problems at all with mine. Sorry to hear that your having bad luck with yours.

derekc

yea same here i receieved negative feedback on the seaclone also and mine has been working great for about 3 weeks now collecting alll kinds of gunk....

metweezer

I'm now trying to find an AquaC Remora Pro. I hear they're great for a HOB skimmer, but no one seems to carry them in stock. Looks like I'll have to order it online...
How big is your tank? The Aqua C Remora Pro is for tanks up to 120 gal. The Aqua C Remora is for tanks sized 20-75 gals. If your tank fits the latter you may be able to save some money. metweezer@aol.com. Hope this helps,
Steve

maeistero

i've had two sea100's for years. they work but you have to keep an eye on them. i got them used for next to nothing and they just take some tweaking and a quality powerhead. i run both on the same 180gal and the biggest problem i've found is that water level absolutely has to be consistent. an automatic topoff system is pretty much mandatory since i don't use tops.
i thought about buying a nice skimmer from a local builder, but really, i'd still have to check it every day so why spend.

lecithin

I've def heard a lot of bad on the seaclone but perhaps its just misunderstood as these guys/gals seem to have gotten it working. Then again I hear bad about Coralife SS and that thing works amazingly well for me. I think many times people are very quick to give up and flame things before putting in much effort.

xeniaman

I had the seaclone on my 90 gallon tank. When it is dialed in correctly I thought it worked great, until I upgraded to the aqua-c remora pro. I definately recomend this skimmer to anyone who doesn't have a sump. The collection cup on mine has to be emptied in the morning and before I go to bed, Great production. The seaclone would produce about 3/4 of a cup of skimmate per week (much smaller collection cup)

ketill

Mine worked well up until a few weeks ago, bought it in 2004 i think, and the Pump is going out, thats the only reason it is not workign so well now.
cheap
works well
can be run as HOB or remove tube and use in sump
me trying to figure out how to replace pump :0(

mace

Originally Posted by Ketill
me trying to figure out how to replace pump :0(
Just buy a new Maxi Jet 900 or 1200. Thats all those are.

en_pissant

--Disclaimer - this is just my opinion--
I bought a SeaClone when I bought my tank. I've got to say that thing is a joke, it's almost like having nothing at all. Until you go with a real skimmer, you won't understand the difference. I bought the SeaClone cuz it was cheap, but you REALLY need to drop 3 bills, and just get a good skimmer.
I then went with an AquaC, which I thought did a good job, but was very hard to keep adjusted, and flooded my floor several times. My LFS took it back and sold me an ASM.
I then built a sump, and added the ASM G-3. It works great, and is really easy to keep tuned. I highly recommend it. It seriously pulls the crud out of your water. I just use a big 20 gallon tub from Lowes for my sump, which has worked out great. I find it very satisfying to pur cups full of brown stinky crap out a couple times a week. Never happened with that SeaClone.