SeaClone Skimmer Mods?

jthunder

I would like to know if anyone has a SeaClone skimmer and made any mods that make it a more efficient and better performing skimmer.
The one I bought already has the inside tube cut to about 3" off of the bottom. I have been trying to find a mod to increase the airbubbles and thus the skimming...
Thanks.

twoods71

I read a post awhile back where someone had made a little hole in the top of the skimmer and placed an air stone inside to increase the bubbles.
Mine works fine so I see no need to modify it. After about a 1 1/2 years I did however replace the pump with a bigger one. Works better then ever now.

jthunder

Ok, I do have a larger powerhead that I can use to power the skimmer if that will make a positive difference. I would like to know if other people have done that and what is the difference it makes?

ocellaris_keeper

I have the Sea Clone too - keep the thing clean and remove the air adjuster unit and mine works great.
There was a post that talked about taking the inner tube and cutting it 1" shorter and adding another gasket before the collection cup - but I don't know.

dindi

I too have the Seaclone but I also have the ecosystem filter...no sludge for a long time( It was taking lots of junk out of my water, now everything is balanced). Now...is the filter being so great or is the Seaclone a piece of crap, you tell me

danrw84

i just got a seaclone 100....not skimming yet though
have a prizm on there too
i want to use the sea clone in the new sump im going to make
is this a good skimmer or is my red sea prizm better?
thanks
=

slothy

the mods are for the older version of the seaclones.. the new ones are suppose to have the some of the mods done already (revisions i guess you would call it hehe)

rsd

I have the seaclone in my sump. I took the ventury attatchment off the powerhead and just use the power head that came with it.
I drilled a small hole in the lid and have run a peice up tubing through the lid to a wood air diffuser. Works great. I clean it out every week. Also above the lid I put an air valve and adjust the air there... also gives me a place to disconnect the line when I clean the skimmer "bucket and lid"
If it doesn't work for ya... try the other one.

i too have the sea-clone 100, and im using the same method as some of you other guys,i driled a hole for the air line, and im useing a limewood airstone in addition to the pump venturi. in my opinoin it greatly improved the scum collecting ability of my sea-cone!

forewendy

Originally Posted by twoods71
http:///forum/post/287515
I read a post awhile back where someone had made a little hole in the top of the skimmer and placed an air stone inside to increase the bubbles.
Mine works fine so I see no need to modify it. After about a 1 1/2 years I did however replace the pump with a bigger one. Works better then ever now.
What pump did you buy? Mine came with a rio maxijet 1200 and it doesn't get the water high enough for the bubbles to collect in the cup.

jmick

The best mod for Seaclones is to list it on craigslist and pray some other sucker buys it, then spend some extra $$ for a proper skimmer.

nordy

Have you tried adjusting the airflow into the pump venturi? What about the foam filter on the powerhead? If it's dirty it won't take in nearly as much water anmd air and won't foam properly. I have had one for a couple of years and it works great, consistently producing a very concentrated skimmate. It does need regular maintenance though to stay working well for you. Also, the Seaclone can take awhile to start working when you first put it in the tank.