Seahorse are in!!!!

darth tang

I finally picked up my two seahorses from the LFSD and got them in their new home. A 55 gallon tank. They seem to be doing very well...eating frozen mysis this morning and last night the were dancing with each other.....
I am so happy.
Next purchase, a bird wrasse for my aggressive tank.....

1968oldsma

The local fish store near me sells them for 99 a piece there real small and cool looking they eat like friggen pigs tho i've always wanted one maybe some day i would look into sea horses are they reef safe? would they work in a smaller Nano say 30gal? just curious or do they get to big?

Y

yeffre kix

Sea horses need to be kept in a dedicated tank by themselves. They can't compete with fish for food. That is the biggest difficulty with them.

blemmy_guy

You can keep Pipe fish in with them and i think Blennys and a few other Very peacefull type of fish . Otherwise they may not make it. Goodluck. there an awesome little critter to watch!!
todd

dann..

no not blennys.blennys can be semi agasive sometimes.my lfs had cardinals and pipefish in with them.

smoney

DOOD, these guys are so cool. I really dont know too much about them, like can they be kept with other fish or are they high matience or what??? do they need to be secluded by themselves or what??? I have seen them for cheap at like all the saltwater fish stores in my area, can anyone give me some insite?

darth tang

I will get pictures up as soon as I can.
They need a lower water flow than a reef tank. I have a Topfin 60 and one powerhead in my 55 and that is it for waterflow.Minimum is 4times water turn over. Max I would say is 8.
I have 40 lbs. live sand and 30 lbs live rock.
Ideally species only tank but there are a few things you can have with them.
I currently have an engineer goby in with them. ( my grouper and Neon Velvet started attacking him and took out chunks of his tail so I moved him to the seahorse tank.) I have had the guy for 2 years and he doesn't eat much that I have ever saw. In fact my seahorses eat more than him. I have a list of tank safe mates for these guys at home. I can answer your questions regarding that aspect if you have questions.
I know a couple people that have them in 20 gal. longs. Minimum is 20 gal. For mating a tall tank is ideal. But they have mated in a 20 gallon long. My friend's did.
99 dollars is about right for tank raised seahorses. I would not ever recommend wild caught seahorses. The fatality rate in hom,e aqauriums is about 5 times higher if not more and they need live food. Very hard to get on frozen. The tank raised ones should be on frozen food already. You also need plants in there for them to hitch on to.
Clean up crew is important as well as the food sometimes falls in areas the seahorses wont find and since it is shrimp it is hard for you to clean out.
You can't have any air bubbles occuring in your tank either as the seahorses will swallow them and bloat out their stomach. Then you have to "burp" them or they die. Water quality is very key as is food soaked with vitamins. There are more diseases to watch for as well. Any other questions feel free to ask. I have done so much research it isn't funny.

kart racer

Darthtang good luck with the seahorses. I had a couple in a tank for a few months. I have really been thinking alot lately of getting rid of the fish in my 125 and adding pairs of seahorses. How many would fit in a 125?

darth tang

Pending filtration and live rock/sand amount......I would say 7-8 pairs.....maybe....tops (with the best filtration and adequate live rock/sand). I know someone with 2 pairs in a 35 gallon so mathematicaly you could do 8 pairs..... I am only keeping one pair and my engineer goby in the fifty-five. But that is mainly due to my lack of a wet/dry filter or refegium and the low amount of live rock I have. These guys are touchy and I am not trying to overload or stress them out.

darth tang

One thing to consider, Tank raised seahorses haven't been exposed to any diseases and or parasites so their immune system isn't as strong initially. Pipefish are generally wild caught and can carry a lot of things the seahorses aren't immune to yet. Just something to keep in mind.

duke13

seahorse dot org
Do your homework before even remotely considering getting a pair of seahorses. They're beautiful creatures and they require more work than you think.

E

exile415

$99 for a seahorse ! wowzer
My LFS sells black seahorses for $30

pammy

I absolutely LOVE my seahorses! :jumping: My male got pregnant on Sunday so we're on the countdown to having babies! This will be our first foray with the babies so I hope to get atleast one to survive. It sounds difficult, but I' m willing to do whatever it takes to get a baby to thrive. Anybody have any thoughts on how to have a successful birth/raising? :confused: Everyone on this list is so full of knowledge and enthusiasm! I LOVE it! :cheer:

darth tang

You might be able to work something out with a local aquarium. I know someone who had baby seahorses. Contacted the aquarium and in exchange for them rearing them they keep half. Not a bad deal if you don't have the time for the task.