Seahorse Breeding?

celacanthr

Yes, it is possible, but not incredibly easy, if you google it, you will come up with an enormous wealth of info.
CELA

P.S. Don't get discouraged if your first round of fry don't survive. Their is an ENORMOUS learning curve.

alyssia

That's why I got two females. I don't want to deal with the heartbreak of losing the fry.

i<3fish

Wow, well it will be hard, and sad... but I think it would be the most amazing feeling to captive breed a seahorse, and raise it from a small baby. What types of seahorses breed well in captivity?

teresaq

go to a site that has seahorse and a dot and a com they have a whole section on breeding seahorses.

babyb

i went into my lfs that had gotten in some dwarf sea horses the past week and i was talking with the guy and we walked back to there tank and there 50ish baby dwarf seahorses. they were the cutest things i have ever seen in all my life. they were no bigger than a grain of rice. i wouldnt mide getting some but i think they are a little above my experience level

darth tang

Originally Posted by I<3Fish
Wow, well it will be hard, and sad... but I think it would be the most amazing feeling to captive breed a seahorse, and raise it from a small baby. What types of seahorses breed well in captivity?

Reidi, erectus, and Kudas all breed easily.

i<3fish

Thanks guys. I think I am going to do alot more research, then set up a seahorse tank and a baby seahorse tank of my own.

jdennysgir

Yes, do plenty of research on seahorses. I had 2 for about a year and a half. One day I got up and one was dead. Don't know what happened. It wasn't a week later the other died. They are very social creatures. Water has to be perfect at all times and they can be very picky eaters. Mine were trained to eat frozen mysis. Some that you get may not be trainable to eat frozen foods. Therefore you must feed live food which can get expensive. I will try to post pics. of my "gone but never forgotten Fred and Barney." Losing them was very hard. I believe the second one died of loneliness. After the first one died, he never acted the same. Friends and family can't believe how I get so attached to the life in my tank. They think think they are "just fish." Well enough of me rambling. Please, please do plenty of research before starting with seahorses. They deserve only the best!

jdennysgir

That is a 44 gal. I wouldn't go any smaller than that for a pair. Also, high tanks are better than long tanks for horses.

konrade

You just need a tall tank not necessarily big. Bigger than 20 gallons though imo. Also dwarfs are hard because of their feeding habits, but they are probably one of the easiest to breed

alyssia

Originally Posted by Konrade
You just need a tall tank not necessarily big. Bigger than 20 gallons though imo. Also dwarfs are hard because of their feeding habits, but they are probably one of the easiest to breed
Yes, dwarfs have to have live baby brine shrimp that you have to hatch everyday. My horses are captive bred and were already eating frozen mysis when I got them.