Seahorse Foods and Feeding

rykna

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
Disclaimer: I do not recommend mixing seahorses with these fish. This tank is my experiment and seems to be working so far, but I have taken steps to get these inhabitants to coexist together without starving each other out.
Neat!! Do you have pics of the 150? I know most info points too having only horses in a horse tank. But I would be very interested in hearing when you added each animal and how they coop with each other in the tank.

darthtang aw

Pictures, I have taken, but they aren't very clear...and my lights right now are junk till I can get new ones (had an accident involving a cat, 2 great danes, and my 3 year old) So no pics till I see this is working for another year. No point showing what may fail and give someone the idea to attempt.
Seahorses only in a tank is a myth however. Here is a list of fish that would be safe to place with seahorses.
Curious Wormfish
Jawfish
Neon Goby
Sharknose Goby
Yellow Clown Goby
All Shrimp/Prawn Gobies
Blackfinned Watchman Goby
Blackray Shrimp Goby
Blue Assessor
Blue-green Chromis
Bluespotted Jawfish
Clown Shrimp Goby
Convict Blenny
Dusky Jawfish
Firefish
Goldspecs Jawfish
Green Mandarinfish
Purple Firefish
Rainford's Goby
Red Scooter Dragonet
Scissortail Goby
Scooter Dragonet
Scorpion Dragonet
Yellow Assessor
Yellow Eel Goby
Yellow Watchman Goby
Yellowhead Jawfish
clownfish (the exception being clarki clown and maroon clown)
Any of these fish are absolutely safe with seahorses.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Rykna
Okay here's some more...I think the pic above was reversed color wise to see different parts of the pod.
That second pic looks like the ones that are on the glass during the day eating the algae. I bought a magnifying glass and I can see the antennae in a "V" shape and it looks like they have a tail. These are copepods also? Torno mentioned the ones that scuttle though the bed are the amphipods. But, I see that you have a pic labeled copepod and they do look like that. They have a dark vein that runs along their back. I just want to make certain that what I am culturing in my culture set up is what the mandarin wants; which are the ones that have the dark vein in them.

monalisa

Originally Posted by Torno
amphipods are much larger than copepods. it sounds like you have those. copepods look like tiny white points that kinda "shoot" in bursts throughout the water, while amphipods kinda scuttle.
I've noticed some "scuttling" little creatures in my sh tank yesterday and today. This guy looks incredibly like a little shrimp of sorts, but...oh, I don't know...really fast and weird. It's about 1/2 inch long...much bigger than the pods I've ever had...so is that an amphipod? Is there any problem with that thing being in my sh tank?
Lisa...

rykna

Originally Posted by MonaLisa
I've noticed some "scuttling" little creatures in my sh tank yesterday and today. This guy looks incredibly like a little shrimp of sorts, but...oh, I don't know...really fast and weird. It's about 1/2 inch long...much bigger than the pods I've ever had...so is that an amphipod? Is there any problem with that thing being in my sh tank?
Lisa...
From what you discribed scurrying about your sand bed sounds like a tastey Seahorse orderve.Definately an amphipod. Most likely it's a little Caprellid Amphipod, also known as Skeleton Shrimp, a favorite snack for horses. There are amphipods and copepods, both are a tastey snack favorite of seahorses, and their presence signifies that your tanks is flourishing.

It's the Isopods you gotta be aware of. Cirolanid Isopod, also known as the "fish lice". The other Isopod is the Epicaridae, or Shrimp tumor isopod. These Isopods spell tank disaster with a capital "D".
The isopod fish lice are blue with stripes.