seahorse help

chevytrks

i have a Zulu-Lulu pair in a 29 gallon tank with 15 gallon refugium, and a hob filter that has been up and running for 4 mos, several corals in the tank (open brain, xenia, sea fans, zoos , ricordia , and a large sponge). Fish in tank are a clown goby, and 2 curious worm blennies. The seahorses have been eating well (like pigs) and everyone is getting their share.
water parameters are : PH 8.3 , ammonia 0, nitrite 0 , nitrate 5 ppm , calcium 460, temp is 77 degrees. I feed frozen mysis shrimp treated with vibrance, and bio plankton twice a week for corals. Today one of my seahorses seems to have developed a white area on the tip of tail, noticed a small white tip when the seahorse arrived and was acclimated, but it did not look out of ordinary (like a marking). They have been in the tank for 3 weeks and have been doing well, until today the white on tail seems to have spread up some and looks like cotton in a way, he is laboring some to breathe and is breathing fairly rapidly.
Any ideas or suggestions?:confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is mysis the only food you are feeding your fish?
I have no exp with seahorses, but I do know that they don't usually fare well in a community tank.
What are they using for ancors?

chevytrks

Oceanrider vibrance on frozen mysis, and some live red shrimp for treats once in a while
they use my thermometer, the sea fan, and yellow grogorian(sp) for anchors, and sometimes the sponge.

killafins

Some time in the night take a flashlight and look to see if anything is attacking him? look for how it is acting? besides breathing problems is it moving rapidly everywhere?

lovethesea

seahorse.org was a big help in getting info when we were
thinking about getting them. They are the neatest creatures, but very sensitve....good luck :)