seahorse question?

bullitr

anybody have one. i have a 28 g nano tank that i used for qt b4 that i want to convert back sh tank. it might have trace of copper in it but i doubt it? i will have a carbon to make sure. are they hard to keep?
my lfs have they eating brine shimp.
any suggestion are welcome. thank you

fanker

i have a wc and its great it just cost alot to feed wc go with a cb they eat frozen food and u have to feed them like 3 times a day

anoepheli

The smallest anyone my store has heard of doing seahorses in is 20 gallons, and it was a smaller species. We keep a couple species of seahorses in one of coral tanks. What you should watch out for in a nano tank is the overpowered pump. Direct that flow in such a way that you don't toss the poor things about. Mysis shrimp always make a better food than brine shrimp. I really would recommend against putting seahorses in a nanocube. It can be done, but a tank with more vertical space would be better suited.
Also, remember, seahorses are rather social. They don't like being alone.

xdave

They have been kept succesfully in tanks that size and even smaller for centuries.

reefstar22

Hello,
I keep 2 sea horses in a 20 gallon tall tank. They are amazing to watch. DO NOT feed them brine shrimp..there is no value to it. Use mysists...much better for them. As for flow..you must have VERY low flow...I use a spay bar..and aim it up ..so the current moves at a different speed.... best way to do it....
Best of luck...
remember you must feed them twice a day...its a PAIN in the butt to be honest.... they are cool to have...but im getting ready to sell mine because im sick of feeding them.
~Chris

xdave

How about newly hatched brine, within 24 hours of hatch?
did you know that Marie Antoinette kept seahorses? She had a unique and effective water quality control system, servants to bring her fresh ocean water everyday. Don't ask me why I know that, i couldn't tell ya.

J

jdragunas

how do you know that?

i had a seahorse tank, and yes, it is pretty difficult. They're very sensative to changes in water quality, salinity, temperature. Because of these factors, they're best kept in a lager tank, like 30g's or so. You should do a species-only tank because they do not fare well with competition for food. They have to have low flow, although you have to make sure the water's circulating enough. They must be fed 2x's a day, and NO brine! You should be able to find ones that'll feed on frozen food, and then buy a vitamin supplement to soak the food in before dinner time. The tank has to be tall... at least 2x's the height of the horse with it's tail uncurled. They should be kept in pairs or groups. They have to have some hitching posts.
great info: www.seahorse.org and www.syngnathid.com

reefstar22

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Hey Chris, what kind of horses?

I'm not sure right off hand, they are black...one actully changed color to yellow like 3 months ago...really cool creatures...just i dont have the time..i work 60hrs a week...im never home :(

xdave

Now that you mention it, dont they have the ability to change color like a chameleon?

alyssia

Originally Posted by xDave
Now that you mention it, dont they have the ability to change color like a chameleon?

Yes, they do.
I have two h.kudas in a 20 gallon. They are CB and eat frozen mysis. IMO they are hardier than people say they are, but it is a pain feeding them constantly.

xdave

Personally, with that size tank i'd rather have a few of the little ones instead of a pair of the regular sized ones because they're very interesting in groups.

alyssia

Personally, with that size tank i'd rather have a few of the little ones instead of a pair of the regular sized ones because they're very interesting in groups.

Do you mean the dwarves? You'd have to put a ton of them in a 20.

xdave

Yep. Theres always something going on in a tank of those. You gotta get up close but I do anyway.

poniegirl

Okay, I have had 4 SH in my life and NONE have ever changed color. Black, that's it. What on earth is up with the chameleon thing?

alyssia

Originally Posted by PonieGirl
Okay, I have had 4 SH in my life and NONE have ever changed color. Black, that's it. What on earth is up with the chameleon thing?
Mine have always been yellow. Sometimes they get a little darker but they always go back to the yellow. I wish they would turn black.

xdave

Animals in captivity sometimes don't use their secret defense unless they feel threatened. Heres some articles where its mentioned
Color
Change

poniegirl

Animals in captivity sometimes don't use their secret defense unless they feel threatened. Heres some articles where its mentioned
Color
Change
Then I suppose I'll just be happy with my boring black ones! :happyfish