Seahorse tank?

michaelb

I am thinking about setting up a seahorse tank. I already have a well established reef tank and am very familiar with saltwater tank requirements; however I have never had any experiences with seahorses. Any recomendations would be greatly appreciated.

fishgirl

You can set up a fairly small tank, and even overcrowd when it comes to seahorses. Make sure they get enough to eat, and don't keep anything but seahorses in the tank, because they can't swim fast at all. I suggest a 20gal long with liverock.

krazzydart

They need plenty of live rock and plants to cling to and also for a good food sorce,,, since they do not have a real stomach they need to eat all day and are slow feeders...

donut

It would seem to me that with their similar tastes in foods and slow movement, mandarin fish would be acceptable in a seahorse tank. Does anyone have any experience with this?

porkypuffer

I'VE HEARD THAT SEAHORSES ARE THE MOST DIFICULT TO MAINTAIN. YOU MAY WANT TO GET AS MUCH INFO AS YOU CAN BEFORE ATTEMPTING. I'VE HEARD THAT THEY PERFER LIVE FOOD WHICH MEANS RAISING BRINE SHIMP, ALOT OF TIME AND TROUBLE. SINCE YOU LIVE IN AUSTIN, GO TO AQUATECH ON BURNET ACROSS FROM ROSS', THEY HAVE A SEAHORSE TANK.
[This message has been edited by PORKYPUFFER (edited 04-27-2000).]

sod

i would get a 20 gal or so and take substarate from your main tank and put it in the tank add live rock and a small damsel to help set up a biological filter oh ya add a lot of branch live rock or dead goronian that the pet stores sell . wait about a month so the copepod levels are high then add 1 sea horse . i have seen at my lfs ribbon eels with sea horses. there they recommend that your tank is set up for a year but this should work i plan to get one later when i find a good home for my perculears

otto13

if you try to do a seahorse tank, go to aquatek on burnet road in austin. they have brazillian seahorses that will eat frozen food. they are little and black seahorses. very cute.

kappadoku

Most tank raised seahorses now are raised feeding on frozen mysis and brine.
I still raise Artemia Salina (brine shrimp) and Artemia Nyos ("Sea Monkeys") to feed them. 1/8th teaspoon brine eggs, 1/8th teaspoon DT's or other phytoplankton in 12 ounces of your tank water will hatch them in less than 24 hours. You can introduce the naupali or wait untill they get bigger. 3 day old naupali can usually swim against the current in a seahorse tank, since they also like slower water movement. Ive even introduced full grown sea monkeys into the tank, 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. They went right into the live rock, and have since reproduced on their own.
Anyway, Im rambling. Moral of the story, GET TANK RAISED SEAHORSES!
There are too few left in nature to be harvesting them still, and those are the ones that dont do well in a tank. Its easier than you think, if you have an established tank. ALso, Mandarins are an excellent tank mate for seahorses, as are most small (<1 inch) gobies.
HTH!

the don

If you want the low down on seahorses go to www.seahorse.*** , they tell you everything you need to know. Have fun, and remember if you get seahorses, they are hard to take care of, expensive and time consuming.

somethin' fishy

I have had great luck w/ a Seahorse tank. My lil guys eat both frozen mysis and brine shrimp. They get live brine 2x a week. For a quick look at how my tank is set up - please feel free to follow this link:
Sea Horse Tank
We currently have four in that 20G High and have had great success w/ a cowfish, mandarin and a pipefish co-mingled w/ these guys. Should you have specific questions - I would be happy to help you....wife and I have been doing Seahorses for a few years....in addition to our reefs.
Sincerely,
SF