seahorse

sweetdawn

ok say one of your seahorses was sickly rest are fine. one got air bubbles under his skin on his tail constant battle with that. then since his swimming ability is hampered by bubbles he gets stuck against a powerhead probably all day. then he loses the skin on the tail i think cause it was white like skeleton. (think bubbles weakened the skin) like that for a couple of days actually was swimming better cause no air bubbles. then the tail falls off.
this is bad. nothing to hold on with. Put him in a tank by himself take him out and put him in bowl with plenty of mysis shrimp and vitamins. he eats. put him back in small tank still living. still living after a week like this poor little amputee. will his tail grow back or will he be handicapped for life

sweetdawn

im giving him vitamins. what meds would you suggest i called the malafix people to ask if they thought it would work for him but they havent called back

sweetdawn

he seems to be doing a little better not laying on his side all the time. he is on the bottom of the tank but he is upright

promisetbg

Is he a new addition? Wild caught or tank raised? They say you can put REGULAR type neosporin on open wounds of seahorses..but if he has the flesh eating bacteria, there is'nt anything you can do that I know of.

sweetdawn

dont know i got him for 8.99 from the lfs. all my other seahorses are fine. he had problems with air bubbles on his tail. also got that belly gas that i evacauated. the skin on the tail i think was weak from the air bubbles under the skin. when he got stuck to the power head all day probably it killed the skin and when i unstuck him the skin came off. then the tail came off. just checked on him he is still alive he is actually swimming around in the tank dont kknow how good his steering is without his tail but he is a survivor

promisetbg

I urge you to research seahorses as much as you can..and no offense to swf..but not here.
If it cost 8.99 it is wild caught. Look up sygnathids.

darth tang

I agree with Promise. A few of us here have some extensive knowledge on seahorses (but general what we are keeping)
Without his tail to use to hitch you are probably going to lose him. Without picture it is hard for myself to give you a "medical" diagnosis of what to do. To be honest, I would be leary of spraying him with neosporin.......as it is a chemical and could cause problems in your tank itself.
Neomycin on the other is an aquatic medicine that is similar (in principal) to neosporin and can be used in a hospital tank. I WOULD NOT use this in the main tank at all.

sweetdawn

well i have not put anything on it and he is swimming around the tank and eating. I put a rock in the tank that has a lot of stems he kinda lays between them. he is in a five gallon by himself but im worried that he will get lonely seahorses like to have company

darth tang

Give him a month in the QT tank by himself. I personally feel being confined in a small 5 gallon though will stress him further. Use a ten gallon atleast. After the month, then try and place him back in the tank.

sweetdawn

only have room for the five gallon tank for him if he starts to show stress and stops eating i will put him back in the 29 with his friends

sweetdawn

seahorse is still alive knows how to swim now without the tail. eats good. place where he lost it has healed over