seahorse

lovin_life

any body know much about seahorse my lfs have a couple black one eatin frozien foods can they go in a 12 g aqua pod it has no fish at the monent

patrick8929

there cant be to much in the way of corals as well because they can get stung
im sure you know they like to hold on to things and you wouldnt want them to hold on to the wrong thing
i dont know to much but thats wat my local lfs has told me

ci11337

You could house a pair by themselves in a 12 with no stinging corals, (LPS) Make sure you add something for them to hitch to,(marco,branchy LR) You could have softies like zoos.

teresaq

depending on what type of horses, most are to big for a 12 gal. my biggest was longer then my hand. they need 3 times thier length to be happy. go to seahorse dot org for expert help.

lovin_life

can they be housed with 2 nemos?loland i have a finger leather coral and shrooms and polyps will this be ok and its a black sea horse captice breed and its on frozen mysis shrimp and brime or what do u think about a 2.5 or a 5 g tank for him

teresaq

most horses need at least a 29 gal to be happy. they need excelent water conditions. the only thing you could keep in a 5 gal is dwarf sh. and the need newly hatched brine everyday.

teresaq

Originally Posted by LoViN_LiFe
thanks but their not very informative!any other help any one?
are you talking about seahorse dot org. they are the most informed group of people when i comes to seahorse. they will help you set up a proper seahorse tank. they will not tell you what you want to here, but the right way to do it.

freejury

Originally Posted by LoViN_LiFe
any body know much about seahorse my lfs have a couple black one eatin frozien foods can they go in a 12 g aqua pod it has no fish at the monent
Depending on the species, most common at LFS is kuda, reidi, erectus,(they should know what they bought, if they dont, do not buy from them) you can start out a couple in a 12G, but you will eventually have no choice but to move them to a larger tank, preferably a tall or show tank. Gallon size is not as important as height. They really prefer a tall water column to swim and feed in, low to medium current, temps between 74 and 78(species specific), and as stated above, "hitching posts" to hang around on. My breeding pair prefers grape caleurpa & a synthetic branching coral. (see pics) but will grab onto anything handy, including each other.
They will be fine with most zooantids, mushrooms, star polyps, feather dusters. Avoid all SPS and LPS.
Most importantly, water quality must be kept up, as they are susceptible to many types of odd diseases (gas bubble, snout rot, etc.)
They mostly prefer mysid, brine is NOT recommended, and will readily consume the various copepods found in your tank. They also prefer low-medium light (this will obviously determine your invert selections), and get along great with dragonets/mandarins, scooter blennies, jawfish, and other slow, non agressive fish species. The various hermits and snails are also fine.
Hope this helps you out and encourages you to take a shot. They are fabulous fish to watch and raise, and will readily reward you with babies, if you can get a pair.
My seahorse tank is a 35 gal acrylic hex.
2nd pic is my recent brood of babies!! They are about 1/4" in length, but perfect copies of their dad.

poniegirl

Originally Posted by freejury
Hope this helps you out and encourages you to take a shot. They are fabulous fish to watch and raise, and will readily reward you with babies, if you can get a pair.
My seahorse tank is a 35 gal acrylic hex.
2nd pic is my recent brood of babies!! They are about 1/4" in length, but perfect copies of their dad.
VERY nicely said, I agree! I would not have a seahorse, much less a pair, in less than a 30 gallon, once they reach adult size.
I would add, however, that the tank height is really only an issue if you have a pair that might breed. The courtship dance requires the height.

freejury

Your welcome. Let us know if you decide to go for it, and feel free to ask lots of questions. I'll do my best to help you out.

vsandme

Ive had a pair, and I learned the hard way...its safer to A get a tank soley for them with little rock work, little flow, and maybe some sea fans to hang onto my clown actually attacked my 2, i just have to much in the tank for them to deal with and i lost em both so i reccomend staying away from them unless you want to put out the neccesary for em, and you need to learn as much as you possibly can about how to care for them.they are quite pricey to kill em. they are fun to watch though good luck with your decision

teresaq

horses are not as easy as most think. I have been researching and setting my tank up for 6 to 8 mo. had everything set, and bought three fro a breeder. everything was perfect, and 4 days later my biggest died. first it would not eat, then it started to eat, and then it either snicked something off the sand, or a brissle worm, but 2 hrs after feeding it was dead. please research and make the best home you can for them. they are delicate creatures.

alyssia

Getting them from a reputable breeder is very important also. I don't think I'd get one from an lfs.