Seahorses...ENDANGERED Species

meowzer

I was flickingthru the channels...and came across NATGEO/WILD....and it was about seahorses....figured it might be interesting
DID YOU KNOW...Seahorses are an endangered species.....In the Phillipines they are teaching the fisherman to hunt other things then seahorses
hmmmmm...

meowzer

Have any of you ever seen a PYGMY Seahorse....they are cool looking....they have piggy looking snouts....LOL

S

smartorl

What is sad is to go onto Ebay and look up "real seahorse". It pulls up lots of dried seahorses, great for weddings! Nothing says love like dead, dried up sea life laying on your tables. Really sad how it describes the variances in size, color, and lengths due to the position of the tail when they dry and how due to different varieties they are all so unique and interesting. Gross.
I saw a display of pygmy seahorses at the Charleston Aquarium a few years back and they were the cutest things.
Nat Geo had a show on that I caught the end of it about ocean currents. They put irredescent dye in front of a jellyfish and it showed how through the constrict and release method they use to propel through the water, they actually pull and push the same water from the depths to the surface.
It went on to say that jellies given their large numbers could possibly do as much as the currents themselves in bringing nutrients up from the depths and providing movement between the levels.
I thought it was pretty interesting.