Seahorses-

sparkles2

Right now I have a female seahorse in a 10 gallon tank by herself. Soon I will be moving her to a larger tank and I was wondering if anyone could tell me wether I should try to find her a mate and a friend or if it would be better to keep her by herself?

Any sugestions? :)

dzones

I am no expert but I think you could find your answer at seahorse.org
It is a fantastic site for all of your questions.
Hope that helps.

dreeves

Seahorses are social creatures...in addition to the high quality care they require...they need companionship...

taxi

just hoping to gain more insight on keeping one of these guys...how did you find one? what kind is it? is there any certain tank I need to have, etc....would love to gain any knowledge I can on the issue am looking to start a tank myself of just the seahorse...
thanks

dreeves

I kept seahorses for awhile...my own stupidity killed them...i moved my filtration stuff to the basement and piped it up through the floor to the tanks...when I did this I increased the flowrate from about 400gph to about 900....the excessive pressure stressed the horse to the point of no return....my plan was to put her in a smaller tank co-located to the 45 she was in....but I wasnt completely finished with the smaller tank so i left her in the 45...
Seahorses are difficult to keep due to their unique feeding habits, and habitat. They require continuous attention for feeding and require pretty much prestine water quality...mine fed on live food only...so i kept a 5 gallon tank in the lower portion of the cabinet with air and heat for live brine shrimp....that was tasking in its own..
If one is willing to devote the time and energy into them...they are very very entertaining and fascinating to watch...tons of research would be the key for this...

dreeves

Oh the other one I killed by not properly securing the live rock and a urchin I had pushed on of the rocks over and crushed him between the rock and glass...lessons are learned.

sparkles2

Thanx for all your help!
Taxi-
She is a female Atlantic seahorse. I got her a few months ago when a friend of mine gave her to me. You don't really need to have a special set up- just make sure the water current from the return on your filter isn't too strong and that you have a place where you can get live brine shrimp and very small grass shrimp. They really aren't as difficult to take care of as most people say they are.
Toodles:happyfish
Sparkles