SeaHorses

Please excuse my lack of knowledge:
I have always loved Seahorses, and always wanted to keep a pair of them, however, lately I have been investigating them a bit and it seems they are hard to impossible to keep. Has anyone here successfully kept Seahorses? If so, what kind? What special set up is needed, or can they be kept in a reef tank I have now?
Any input will be appreciated!

klh

From what I understand, Seahorses need their own tank. I've not had any experiences with them, so I can't answer the rest of your questions.

sonny

Seahorses are not that hard to keep, but they do have special needs. They don't mix well with fish, because they can't compete with fish for food. They also don't like a lot of current, as this whisks away their food, and they starve. If you want to keep seahorses, get captive raised seahorses. They are acclimated to eating frozen mysis shrimp. Don't waste your time trying to feed seahorses brine shrimp, as this is just not enough nutrition for them. Larger horses can eat baby mollies (the freshwater fish that can live in saltwater... the black molly), but they can live fine on mysis shrimp. Live glass shrimp are also good food for them. Seahorses like tall tanks, as they tend to swim up and down a lot. They don't need a huge tank. A 20 gallon tall tank is a great size for horses, and the setup doesn't need to be expensive. I would recommend a few pieces of live rock, some live sand (not too deep, as this will take away vertical space), and most importantly, they need something to hold onto. You can use artificial sea whips or sea weed, and anchor it on the rock or in the sand. They will definately grab onto it. You can also keep pipefish, which is like a "straight seahorse" with regular "curved seahorses." The main thing I want to stress about seahorses is that you should not get wild-caught seahorses. They are endangered in the wild, mostly due to the Asian market for dried seahorses, which are used as aphrodisiacs (sp?). They don't live on reefs, and therefore are not suitable for a reef tank. They generally live in grass flats and mangrove estuaries. Good luck!
Sonny