Search for the Number one reason.....

razoreqx

I flooded my house working on my aquarium. List them if you got them :)
1. Forgot to restart the U tube after cleaning the overflow box.

jlm

I was messing with the air line tubing that goes to the ph on the skimmer and pulled it off while it was still running. Well it started to overflow. I couldn't get the tube back on. I decided to unplug the unit. Picked up the power strip as it started to overflow on floor. I couldn't remember which plug was it so I started unplugging everything. And the water splashed up and hit the power strip and shocked the snot out of me before I finally got the right plug. Now I have things marked and the power strip is finally mounted on the inside like it should be.

B

bildotang

I had just finished my custom return lines from my wet/dry back into my tank (coming from behind), and this was on tuesday. I was planning on buying a back-flow preventer on the weekend, but on wednesday, my twin 2-years-olds had disconnected my power strip from the wall, which created a backwards siphon, and I lost 45 gallons of saltwater into my bedroom.
My wife was really upset with me!

vyperone

I couldn't remember which plug was it so I started unplugging everything. And the water splashed up and hit the power strip and shocked the snot out of me before I finally got the right plug.
Gotta love this...

I have yet to do this but I know it's coming sooner or later....:)

bencc

RazorEQX Note to self: Never adjust skimmer before going to bed.
I have done that one. My protein skimmer sits beside my wet dry and the skimmate overflows into a container. I wake up and walk into the living room to find the carpet wet all the way to center of the room. I have also dropped a power strip into my refugium that was bad.

salty rob

My skimmer (old skimmer) was making funny noises one night. I got out of bed to investigate in the dark. I wiggled the pressure side tube and it just fell apart. I was standing

[hr]
, reaching around the tank trying to keep the tube semi-plugged and yelling at my sleeping wife to shut off the power strip. The little redhead was not hapy.Wasn't that fun!!
The next day I bought a non AQUARIUM SYSTEMS skimmer.

razoreqx

Originally posted by VyperOne
Gotta love this...

I have yet to do this but I know it's coming sooner or later....:)

haha. yea im just waiting for that one to happen!

razoreqx

Originally posted by Salty Rob
My skimmer (old skimmer) was making funny noises one night. I got out of bed to investigate in the dark. I wiggled the pressure side tube and it just fell apart. I was standing

[hr]
, reaching around the tank trying to keep the tube semi-plugged and yelling at my sleeping wife to shut off the power strip. The little redhead was not hapy.Wasn't that fun!!
The next day I bought a non AQUARIUM SYSTEMS skimmer.

haha!! These are great!

skirrby

i flooded some of my floor and all under my stand once when i forgot to reattach the pump to my skimmer after i cleaned it.. the hose that should gone into the skimmer gave my a 680 gph blast the the face instead and made a nice little gyser(sp?)

dburr

Forgot to shut off the water while making top off water. For 2 days!:eek: :rolleyes: Need I say more.:nervous:

barry cuda

Was testing my sump/fuge design with freshwater on the kitchen counter, when the hastily jury-rigged vinyl hose popped off the Mag 9 output. 700 GPH blasting all the way up to the ceiling. Wife couldn't stop laughing...

gregvabch

temporarily assembled my chiller to run on my tank, and never permanently sealed the supply and return lines to the chiller. woke up one morning before work to the sound of my mag 7 making the horrific grinding sound of a pump that's been dry running for a couple hours. the supply line popped off of the chiller and the powerhead i was using proceded to pump about 10 gallons of water onto the 3rd floor of my condo while i was sleeping. it didn't stop pumping from my sump until the water level in my display tank drained to below my overflow. there also just happens to be a heat duct right by my tank, so there was saltwater dripping from the ceiling ducts on the first floor. had to take the day off of work to clean that one up, and my girlfriend was STOKED. :D

latino277

I turned my return pump off to clean it and then nature called... I came back out of the bathroom to find out that Check valve was not working 25 gl on the floor. REMINDER TO SELF: NO BEER BEFORE TANK MANTANACE!!!!

lions n nd

i can beat them all
I made the mistake of purchasing a very old used tank from a local store going out of business. The tank was a 150 gallon nonplumbed tank on a custom steel frame with anouther 150 gallon tank on top. Yes two 150gal tanks stacked Looked very nice. they had sold the top tank day before. So I purchased the bottom tank for $150. they through in the custom stand. they did not need(I would not pay for).Loaded the tank and stand. took the tank home put in the middle of living room floor. (wife loved this) Took the stand to have it cut down and reinforced/refinished to fit only one tank high instead of two. The Next week the stand was ready. Brought it home to my Trailer(mobile home) Put down 1 1/2 inch plywood to reinforce the floor Stained and finished it. Next day brought in stand centered it in the Trailer(1972) got three guys to help put up the tank. Checked all the seals. Added CC for substrate. Filled it/ added salt. couple days latter when it cleared and warmed to 80* I went out and bought 100LBS of LR to start cycling.
About 6 weeks Latter it was done cycling. Wife and I went out to celebrate the fact it was ready for fish. I had to work at 3Pm
We came home from our Celebration lunch at 2PM to see the tank's side BLOWN OUT. Lights in the tank smoking. Filters SCREAMING from running dry. Heaters SMOKING from being on dry. Powerheads CLICKING/ MELTING from no water. Salt water everywhere. I had my Deep freeze on side of tank that blew. It was Smoking and stinking too. So not only did I have to clean up from my tank I had to move and empty my deep freeze.
Need less to say I never made it to work. The only lucky thing that happened was i have a cold air return beside the deepfreeze that must have sent about 75 Gal down under my trailer house. the other 75 was soaking into the carpet/floor and wall behind the wall was my Computer That stayed dry but the floor/comp.stand did not .
Thank HEAVEN for no fault House INSURANCE. They paid for everything except my $500 deductible When this happened it was Feb in North Dakota highs of -20*F That helped the heat bill having to have the door open hauling stuff in/out.
Yes I still do aquariums as a matter of fact thats how I bought my 210 in 2002. I stil love this hobby my wife won't let my buy anything used anymore.LOL
:hilarious :joy: :yes:

jlem

Draining 15 gallons into 5 gallon water jugs and went to use the restroom. Asked my 9 year old to mov the hose from one jug to the other. I guess I should have turned off Sponge Bob Square pants.:confused:

saltymist

Always use a hose clamp where the output hose from a canister filter attaches to the return pipe in the aquarium to prevent pumping out the tank onto your floor.