Seawater from the 'REAL OCEAN' -- Pros/cons/Questions

halibutk

Well i am new to the hobby of nano-reefs but am looking forward to starting one soon. You may have seen me asking a few questions on the boards from time to time, and now I am in the planning stages. I still have lots to learn I know.
The question I bring is:
What are the pros/cons and stuff to watch out for if I was to go with a bucket and scoop up the clean, pristine ocean water we have here in Alaska to use in my reef tank?

I live right on the coast so that is no problem.
I have tested the water quality in different locations around my house ( i live within 1/4 mile of the ocean) while finishing my marine biology degree several years ago and from my notes, the PH, and salinity seem to be right in line. However I have not yet tested for any trace elements.
Let me fill you in on what I would plan to do if it is not a bad idea:
I have the capability to drive to an area on the coast that is several miles away from any buildings and about a mile from any stream/river inlet (affecting salinity). I would scoop the water up into a 5 gallon bucket , test the salinity and PH and allow it to warm up (water here is around 45 degrees Fahrenheit). I live on a rocky coast so the water is pretty much void of suspended silicates (sand, like you get from getting water on a beach).
Im debating filtering the water for a couple reasons:
-One is that during the summer plankton blooms the water will be loaded with food. How long that food will last when the water warms up I am unsure, especially the copepods and amphipods in the water.
-Two I dont want filtering to remove any beneficial nutirents that could be suspended in the water. Is the previous thoughts wrong in any way.
Any thoughts on how this is either bad or good and what else I would want to test, or make sure of, before I do this.
Saves me alot of money and in my noob opinion, it would be beneficial.
Thanks

S

sebae0

i have read some things that say its ok and others that so no. my biggest concern would be any parasites that you might get from the ocean water. also i know you said it wouldnt be from around any buildings or streams where runoff can contaminate the water but can you test for this when you get it? if it checked out ok then maybe but imo i would just buy salt mix. good luck and let us know how it turns out.

killafins

i wouldn't use ocean water. Alot of things can't be tested that may in fact kill ur fish. Pollution would be the largest concern... I would stick with mixing ur own water just to be on the safe side.

halibutk

Maybe I should clarify some things. I live in a remote part of Alaska, There is no such thing as pollution, so I really dont have to worry about that.
And the temperature difference of about 40 degrees would kill most parasites that live in these colder waters.
I thank you for those answers, they are things to watch out if people decide to use ocean water, just something I really dont have to worry about here.
Also pre-mix salts cost more to ship to me (no LFS) than they cost....no ground service everything must be air shipped. So there is a huge cost saving if I can do this (unlike you people fromt he lower 48)

pmauro

I would have to disagree with the others in this case. In the area you live in there are not sunbathers and sewerplants adding things to the water (exxon Valdez excepted) the water there is full of plankton and other great things I think it would be well worth trying real saltwater if you can get to an isolated spot to collect it. the down side could be the warming of the water and its effect on the plankton and other critters in the water. Just my .02.

twicklund

Normally I would recommend not to use anything out of the ocean. However, I agree with pmauro on this one. I would go for it.
Let us know how it turns out.
tw

halibutk

Well sounds like this will work and Im going to go ahead and plan on doing this.
I have the perfect place to collect the seawater too, its in a wilderness area, nearest house is about 1.5 miles away. Its along a cliff and from my recollection there is no nearby rivers or streams, but ill look.
Ill be sure to test salinity and probably have to dilute it down a bit with distilled water.
As for the plankton dieing with warming, Im going to run a small experiment on that. I anticipate that the larger mobile plankton like crab larvae, amphipods, copepods, etc will probably die off during the warming of the water. But the phytoplankton will probaly survive. We have some of the same species of phytoplankton found in other warmer parts of the world, (Chaetocerous, ect).
I just so happen to have a plankton net that can filter the water with if necessary. My marine bio professor was a planton expert and through most of his class we could be found towing plankton nets behind boats and hunched over microscopes, IDing the plankton, so its not like its new for me.
Of course throughout the planning stages I will be asking more questions, and i will more than liekly give step by step updates with pictures on setup and life of the aquarium. (gives me something to do at work, so ill keep you all informed on how it goes)

dburr

If you do not use the water right away (after heating it), I would suggest putting it in a container in a dark place for 2 weeks. This will kill off anything alive. Use the water not the junk on the bottom of the container.
Dead plankton, alot of dead plankton, will foul your water.
IMO, use fresh water sparingly and use "sitting" water more, aleast in the begining to see how things fall.
I have used water here in CT in my tank.:eek: I always make sure the air smells fresh. You know what I mean. I never have had any ill effects.
Good luck, please keep us up to date on your project.:D

pmauro

I am serious about the plankton and pods if you can collect it I will pay the overnight shipping, I have a 450 that could use a good infusion of pods and plankton.

chef jaysen

I use saltwater from the fish store. They filter it ofcourse but it is water from Florida. I havent had any problems with it and they go through alot of it. Seems to be a easy way to do water changes considering its only .50 a gallon. Just FYI.
:D