Sebae Anemone

I was given one of these anemones I've read good and bad things about them.
Are they safe with fish and coral?
How hard are they to keep?

aquaknight

On a scale of 1-10, BTA's are 5's, Rock Anemones 6's, Sebaes are 3's.
How hard they are to keep depends on the condition you receive it. Sebae's ship terribly and almost always bleach very quickly. The fact you got yours from a fellow aquarist could help it's chances (unless he wants it to die in your tank instead). Is yours mostly white, or a deeper brown/purple color?
They're not really fish eaters the way carpet anemones are, and they don't move around a ton like BTA's.

asharp13

is the sebae considered poisoness to corals? do they have sweeper tentacles that sting things or do thy kill by smothering?

So far he's doing great has set his foot and opened up realy big and pretty and even my clowns are checking him out

I will post a picture tonight.

ironchef205

i just got an anemone too and i would like to split it a month or so down the road because it is freakin huge this is a show size sebea that is about 18in when it is all drawn up so my guess is that when it is stretched out it would be about twice that big but i haven't read anything about anyone splitting them and i haven't seen like a mouth on it yet so i dont know what to do

asharp13

i saw a video on you tube once of someone actually just taking a pair of scissors to an anemone, kinda like fragging a mushroom. i dont know if the thing lived or not. i havent heard of sebaes splitting either so i dont have much advice for you except trade it in maybe

skate020

i dont think you can frag an anemone, i think you just gotta let it go by itself.
i had a sebae anemone, never once put its foot stuck, moved constantly. my clowns took to it, was only good thing about it, it then moved to underneath a rock where there was no light and therefore died.
dont let me put you off tho, i think mine was just weird!

Heres a picture of him sorry the light was on so you cant realy see the colors on him I will try to get one when the main lights go out.

asharp13

lookin good. is it anchored in the substrate? do sebaes like sand or rock more? also, idk much about the specieces so i have to ask, does it have multiple mouths where the gaps in the tentacles are? just one mough in the center? your guy looks like some clowns would love it!!!!

I've only seen one mouth, he placed his foot deep into the sand between a rock and the glass.
The clowns swim around him but he's not hosting them yet.

mie

Originally Posted by skate020
http:///forum/post/3175715
i dont think you can frag an anemone, i think you just gotta let it go by itself.
i had a sebae anemone, never once put its foot stuck, moved constantly. my clowns took to it, was only good thing about it, it then moved to underneath a rock where there was no light and therefore died.
dont let me put you off tho, i think mine was just weird!
You can frag an anemone.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7BdqxW4ka0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5tDIoLROyA&NR=1