Sebae Anemone

H

hoofridge

Looking for information on the care and keeping of Sebae Anemone. I have searched the sight and haven't found the answer to my first question.......my anemone looks relatively plain while lights are on and then when it's lights out...he blooms and is about 3 times the size and GORGEOUS!! Did I buy a confused anemone??? :D Any and all input is appreciated!!

bloddyshrimp3

I just asked the same thing last week. I was told Its getting use to my lights. One week later my is doing fine. I did cut my light time in half thow They are one 6 hours aday for now next week I'll go to 8 hours. The aweek later Back to 12 hours of light.
Good Luck, I headach is almost over.

popalnet

I bought two purple tip anemones last week and mine does the same exact thing. It turn two times bigger when the lights go off.
On a different note, I really regret buying the aneomones. Now I'm super paranoid of them dying. Yes, they look like they're in good condition, but I hear anemones don't do well in captivity. And if they die, they're going to release their poison, possibly killing everthing in your tank. That's from what I've read at least. Not to mention the amonia spike. Be careful with them and keep a close eye on them. I don't think you want to go on vacation with anemones in your tank. Just in case the worst thing happens. You want to be around to immediately remove them from your tank. On that note, that's the last time I'm going to buy an anemone. A coral that resembles an anemone might be a better choice.
I don't mean to sound like a prick or anything, but that's what I hear a lot of people tell me.

H

hoofridge

Thank you!! I hadn't heard about the adjustment to lights and that definitely is something I will have to try. As for the keeping of anemones.....we've probably read and heard the same information! ;) Thank you so much for the replies!

fenrir

From what I understand its not necessarily a poison but depending on how it dies could affect your tank. If it just dies you could get an ammonia spike but if its sucked up into a power head it can chop up all of the stinging cells and send it all around your tank harming anything susceptible.