Seeding a dsb with critters

aqua blue

What are the chances that I could successfully seed my dsb with "critters", from active live sand or live rock, while fish and inverts have been added first?
All replys appreciated.

fshhub

seeding that way, your odds are good, but may be slow moving, b//c already having predators for them in the tank, but definitely better than jsut adding a detrivore kit by itself

ocellaris_keeper

Seeding takes alot of work. Buy a few pieces of small LR and some established live Sand (like 1 lb) and stuff will slowly grow.
I now have half inch starfish all over the tank and through my sand (I did nothing but add aragonite sand and throw in Live rock.
I bought a piece of LR that was about 1/8 lb that was full of tiny feather dusters. as soon as it was introducted into the tank, a week later Ihad copapods and all kinds of stuff was discovered.

aqua blue

Thanks for the feedback. I was wanting to get some opions and advice on this matter before trying it. I thought that this would be the best way to do it now that I already have fish and inverts in the tank.
Thanks Again:D

nm reef

Another good way to seed a established sand bed is to locate a source of rubble/crud from the tanks used to cure large amounts of LR...I have a lfs that always has a bunch of the stuff. It is full of diversity and is a great way to seed a sand bed. You don't need much ....a few lbs will work. Plus it can be extremely cheap....I actually get mine for free....at first the folks at the lfs thought I was nuts....but now several of them use the stuff to add diversity to their systems!:cool:

clarkiiboi

NM Reef, I have seen that suggestion for helping the pod population (guessing for a place to migrate in) but do you think you get more than that (the pods) when you get the rubble/crud? Just curious, cause I KNOW I can get it for free and probably they will think I am nuts too. :) Thanks

fshhub

lol, cute
it is my understanding we as members can now do this, as long as you arent coming on and sayin:
HEY EVERYBODY YOU CAN GO HERE AND GET______ FOR ___$(lloking like an advertisement for others)

nm reef

Yes I've found plenty more types of creatures than just "pods"....worms and even mini stars...on one batch I even found a small frag that is now a very nice sized dark almost black polyp colony.:cool:

clarkiiboi

Thanks---I'll have to put on my poker face when I ask them for it (I know in the back of their minds they will be thinking this girl is nuts lol)

wrassecal

I've been doing the reef rubble thing from the lfs for a couple months now, learned it from NMReef. They only thought I was nuts the first time:rolleyes: