Seperating zooanthids?

lochi

About 3 months ago I bought a rock from the lFS with several zoos of different species on it. When i bought it there were only a few of each but now the yellows are crowding the others and preventing them from opening. I want to try and seperate and reattach the species on different rocks The big question is how? I attached a picture so you'll have an idea of what I'm dealing with.

javatech

i just cut mine as close to the rock as i can and then glue them on an other rock they don't like it at first but they come back after a few days. and start to grow in two to three weeks

enomadra

I have some hairy mushroom I would like to do this too
What kind of glue are you using? Regular super glue from WalMart? Or do you need to use a special gule to do this:D

javatech

you can cut the hairy mushroom but the Regular super glue won't hold they are too slimey for the glue too hold so use some fine netting that you get at a craft store $1 or so a yard and put the mushroom on the rock and cover it with the netting and in 4 to 6 weeks they will grab hold of the rock and then you can take it off

enomadra

Thanks for the tip :D . But if I had several zoos myself that I wanted to glue then what glue would I use?

javatech

I like the Gel super glue. just put a drop on a dry rock or as dry as you can get it and then put the cut end in the glue and wait a min or two before you put it back in the water but don't put it in your tank take some tank water out of the tank and put the zoo in that for 10 min and then you can put it in your main tank . and then dump the other water don't put it back in the tank

nm reef

To frag zoos the advice above will work. Just cut/peel them away from the existing colony and use glue to re-locate them. Its easier than it sounds and works real well. I did want to note that the yellow polyps on that rock can be very fast growers and can overrun the other zoos on the same rock. I have a very aggressive colony of yellow polyps that started as a single hitchhiker about 30 months ago. I would urge you to at the least remove the other zoos you have on the same rock and do all you can to re-locate and/or save them. Those yellow polyps may actually kill them off if you aren't careful. If that rock was mine I'd immediately remove the zoos and try to isolate the yellow polyps away from them before serious damage is done.

lochi

Seperation is the plan. I didn't know how quik those things multiplied when I bought it. They're all going to get their own rock.