Serious problem!!!

jer4916

Hello,
im a very new saltwater person, anways in my tank as of last night i had two blue damsels and a biocolor blenny a angel fish and a trigger,...and as of yesterday afternoon a lionfish ...the pet store said i would be fine ....but i woke up this morning and i cant find my bicolor blenny or damsels... did the lionfish eat them!?!? the blenny was atleast 3-4 inchs long, im shocked! or do you guys think its just hiding? ...Note im not sticking my hand in my tank with a lionfish, i know better ....but do i have a bad pet store? ...the reason i got the lionfish is because they over priced me for a eheim filter for a 66 gallon one they charged me $120, when online i found one 3 days later for $64, and also one time the store gave my tank ich, so i had to break it down and put everything in a hospital tank....am i having problems because im new, or because this place has horrible services? ....i've also been told they dont quarentine there fish at all...the just dump them in the tanks and sell them, also they dont recommend acclimating fish, they say its ok, to just dump them in your tank... this true?
im very worried.
also ever since the ich problem i treated my hospital tank with copper and waited 2 weeks before readding them to my main tank, and also before putting them in i did a fresh water dip....
did i do things right?
wow...help please!

schadiest1

where is that LFS located? Hell? Acclimation is a must IMO. Without that you can shock ur fish and kill them, just from the water temperature change alone, not to mention the difference in water parameters. I have a feeling your lionfish did eat your damsels/blenny. It also could have been your trigger, what kind of trigger is he? How big? Probably the lionfish, but maybe the trigger. To be honsest with you, I would NOT go back to that fish store, unless you're going to tell them that they are idiots!
Lionfish shouldn't be mixed with smaller fish... and now you know why. Other than that, you seem like you're doing things right. Make sure to acclimate, and good call on hospilatizing the fish when your tank got ich.

gati

oh dear, yeah they were all lunch for the lion!! wouldn't go back there if I were you.

scubadoo

I have additional concerns for the trigger and angelfish in a 55. What size/type tirgger and what size/type angel?
Copper can cause internal problems for fish. You need to be very careful when using copper. Fresh water dips are a waste of time in my opinion and not good.
Curly, Larry and Moe must be runing that fish store with Laurel & Hardy as the owners. Take your money elsewhere. Everything they told you is wrong. THe only thing they appear to know how to do is ring the cash register. :D

jer4916

In my 55 i have a niger trigger and a angel (its name leaves me, it turns in from a blue black and white stripped angel to a bright yellow with green on the tips) ...both are probly 5, 6 inchs long and seem to be doing fantastic in my tank, there very active and always in site, the lion now seems to be doing well...its been a couple days since i've added him...feed him some feeder fish last night...ate all 3 ...the trigger even ate the 4th one.
~chris

guineawhop

make sure if ur gonna feed feeder fish that they are mollies or guppies because goldfish and tuffies(rosie red minnows) i think have too much vitamin D..i believe it's vitamin d...anyways it will eventually kill the lion. I would also bet money on it that the lion ate ur damsels and blenny. try feeding the lion stuff like krill and silversides. it might take a bit for him to get use to it but eventually he will get the hint. try sticking the feeder fish on a feeding stick and then one day switch it from a feeder fish to a piece of krill or silverside. also not a good idea to use copper. use formaline in ur hospital tank.

scubadoo

Originally posted by Jer4916
In my 55 i have a niger trigger and a angel (its name leaves me, it turns in from a blue black and white stripped angel to a bright yellow with green on the tips) ...both are probly 5, 6 inchs long and seem to be doing fantastic in my tank, there very active and always in site, the lion now seems to be doing well...its been a couple days since i've added him...feed him some feeder fish last night...ate all 3 ...the trigger even ate the 4th one.
~chris

THe animals are too big for your set-up and will need a larger tank soon. More conccern for your angel then the trigger in the very short term.
Keep an eye on your trigger as they sometimes pick on lions...but Nigers are not part of the realy nasty triggers.

jonny bolt

I definitely think the Lion had a buffet in your tank. Anything he can fit in his piehole is going to go in there lol. I also think the LFS you are giving business is a dump. For them to do that, as well as not care for the tanks, is uncalled for. There is place in my area that has around since I was kid, and always liked, but lately I see Angel fish there with one eye bulging out like 6 times its normal size, filthy tanks, and all around just dumpy looking. It's ashamed. Maybe you need to speak out and tell those people to smarten up. Sorry to hear you were duped like that. Selling you a Lionfish after you tell them what fish are already in your tank is ridiculous.

paulnsd

Never know....but I think the lion fish had a fat exspensive dinner and the trigger probably eat whatever the lion couldnt eat...
Sorry but LISTEN TO A FISH SALESMEN they are there to sell and make money....
Lion and trigger can not be with other small fish.. EVER (as a rule)
PaulNSD

paulnsd

Why dont you try to do something also to small claims? I know its he said she said kinda thing but if you have someone else go in there maybe we a hidden cam.
Its a VERY VERY VERY bad fish store... where is it located? name? Thats a horrible thing to do to live fish....
Your fish never had a chance with that kind of care...
Sorry Dude/Dudet
paulNSD

jer4916

The name if the fish store is mini critters in sioux falls south dakota.
the place is very well kept and looks very nice,...so i guess for people like me...we would assume they would know what there talking about...but i dont think they do from what everyone says on here... i do plan on buying a 180 gallon tank within the next 6 months...so i hope everything will work out ok...they all seem to be doing really well...and my levels are low... plus i have a ton of filtration... 66gallon eheim bio filter 116 gph, and a protein skimmer designed for a 60gallon tank 106 gph and then i have a maxi jet 1200 producint 295 gallons per hour...so im running about 515 gallons per hour.
plus i have alot of rock cover...and my fish stay very active, they all eat well ...none ever leaving anything left over...the lion loves hes feeders ...he eats one small feeder a day im talking SMALL ..i know not to over feed him...
and my water stay's crystal clear...so i assume everything in the tank is 100% happy/healthy.
any imput?
chris
This is my lionfish
http://www.ratemyfishtank.com/friendEmail.php/imID831

fishy411

U have a b-e-a utiful lion. Im sorry to say yur tank is massively overstocked. The lion should be in a 75 if it's a volitan. I didnt look closely at it. Yeah Damsels are a good treat for a lion and a Blenny would make a good dessert