Serious Question for knowledgeable reefers

anonome

Hello fellow reefers. I have a small problem with my 125g reef tank. More of an aesthetics problem, but know that this could lead to a deeper problem. I am running a (3)150w hqi lighting system from Corallife and have new halides on order...they are 15 mo old, and know that this is probably the issue, but want to be sure. My calcium level is high...around 500-510 and this could also be the issue. No nuisance algae at all. Only RO/DI water ever goes into the tank. Temp at 80, Dkh at 9, ph at 8.2, specific gravity at 1.026. These are very stable. All other test run at zero, except nitrates run around 20. This tank is 2 yrs old and growing very well with new growth on all the coral.
My problem....My rocks have always been covered in purple coralline, but now have very hard red, burgundy colored coralline on all rocks that are not already encrusted with the purple. I was supplementing the tank with Seachem reef advantage calcium and not testing as I should have....I know, bad move. Got lazy. First one to admit this.
I have taken a few rocks out to try to wash them, the burgundy color does not budge so I know it is not red slime, but the color really looks like it. Just doesn't have height, or strings. It is definitely encrusted into the rocks. My question
, is it from the high calcium level, or the old lights, or both? All of the coral, clams, and fish are doing great so no problem there. Just really curious, because I haven't had this before. No current pics, the lights are out. Help me out here. Thanks as always.

spanko

Nothing to worry about here. Coralline comes in many colors. Enjoy the variety of color.

rebelprettyboy

U just got some ncie corlaine. My lfs 540 gal tank rock si covered in it and I love it! Bought a piece to seed my tank with that color and its starting to spread, but still mostly purple

paintballer768

I hear you on the burgundy algae. I have it as well as coralline, but the burgundy algae IS NOT coralline. It grows over the coralline, and eventually ends up plating off of the rock. I have found no harm done with it, no adverse effects as of yet.

anonome

Thanks all, I was just in OCD overload, I guess.
But, to be sure, here are pics I just took to be sure........

anonome

Lights, calcium, or both? Just curious why it should change color. By change I mean not purple to begin with, just start out as burgundy. The rocks with purple are still very purple, but the ones with no coralline, now have burgundy color coralline. Why?