Serious question... if you have a drink everyday, does that make you an alcoholic?

geoj

"But I don't feel any compulsion to drink" Denial
"I just like beer/bloody marys." Compulsion
If you like it you must use restraint to control your compulsion to have it. Any justification to giving in to your compulsion is the lack of restraint. How serious the problem is depends on the chemicals capacity to do harm. When the logic to stop harming yourself is overruled by your compulsion to have it then you are addicted.

crimzy

Originally Posted by GeoJ
http:///forum/post/2826562
"But I don't feel any compulsion to drink" Denial
"I just like beer/bloody marys." Compulsion
If you like it you must use restraint to control your compulsion to have it. Any justification to giving in to your compulsion is the lack of restraint. How serious the problem is depends on the chemicals capacity to do harm. When the logic to stop harming yourself is overruled by your compulsion to have it then you are addicted.
So are you suggesting that anybody that enjoys and engages in alcohol use, but doesn't feel that he/she is addicted, is an alcoholic?
Your point seems a bit broad to me.

m12576

^I'll have to agree. I also drink to wind down every day. I either have a beer or two or a glass of wine or two. I'll admit that my drinking has increased over the last 5 years (a divorce will do that to ya!) but I dont think it's at a point where I'm carrying my own flask or drinking to get drunk.
Anything above and beyond a wind down drink, ie. drinking excessively to where, someone previously said, it interferes with daily life, COULD constitute an alcoholic. And unfortunately it takes something tragic to happen for someone to realize they may have a problem with alcohol.
but what do i know...

jpc763

Alcoholism is a touchy subject. Similar to discussing politics or religion.
Is alcoholism a disease like diabetes or is it a "bad habit"? We can go back and forth on that for days.
It is my opinion that you as an individual are the only one who can make the call on if you are an alcoholic or not. Enjoying alcohol does not make you an alcoholic. What makes you an alcoholic is the *why* around drinking. Increased drinking as a result of some event is not a good thing and should be monitored.
Another note is that having a drinking habit in and of itself does not necessarily make you an alcoholic. It is what that habit invloves that can determine your status as an alcoholic.
The 20 questions is a good guideline.
J

ruaround

Originally Posted by jpc763
http:///forum/post/2826439
The 20 Questions

Take this 20 question test to help you decide whether or not you are an alcoholic.

Answer YES or NO to the following questions.
1. Do you lose time from work due to drinking?
YES __ NO __
2. Is drinking making your home life unhappy?
YES __ NO __
3. Do you drink because you are shy with other people?
YES __ NO __
4. Is your drinking affecting your reputation?
YES __ NO __
5. Have you ever felt remorse after drinking?
YES __ NO __
6. Have you ever got into financial difficulties as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
7. Do you turn to lower companions and an inferior environment when drinking?
YES __ NO __
8. Does your drinking make you careless of your family’s welfare?
YES __ NO __
9. Has your ambition decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
10. Do you crave a drink at a definite time?
YES __ NO __
11. Do you want a drink the next morning?
YES __ NO __
12. Does drinking cause you to have difficulty in sleeping?
YES __ NO __
13. Has your efficiency decreased since drinking?
YES __ NO __
14. Is drinking jeopardizing your job or business?
YES __ NO __
15. Do you drink to escape from worries or trouble?
YES __ NO __
16. Do you drink alone?
YES __ NO __
17. Have you ever had a complete loss of memory as a result of drinking?
YES __ NO __
18. Has your physician ever treated you for drinking?
YES __ NO __
19. Do you drink to build up your self-confidence?
YES __ NO __
20. Have you ever been to a hospital or institution because of drinking?
YES __ NO __
What's your score?
If you have answered YES to any one of the questions, there is a definite warning that you may be an alcoholic.
If you have answered YES to any two, the chances are that you are an alcoholic.
If you answered YES to three or more, you are definitely an alcoholic.
(The test questions are used at Johns Hopkins University Hospital, Baltimore, MD, in deciding whether or not a patient is an alcoholic).
now substitute "drinking" with "aquarium keeping"...

Originally Posted by zman1

forum/post/2826540" rel="nofollow">
Ruaround beat me to it.

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2826550

rylan1

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2826660
So are you suggesting that anybody that enjoys and engages in alcohol use, but doesn't feel that he/she is addicted, is an alcoholic?

Do you drink to get drunk?
Do you drink excessively?
Does not having a drink affect your mood?
1 or 2 beers a day/night doesn't qualify to me... a 4-6 is between excessive and a drunk/alcoholic to me... .. and that is for no reason... not at a game or social event... but at home and drinking by themselves... and on a constant basis.

geoj

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2826660

That is not what I mean, what I mean is if it harms you in the amount that you consume and you can’t find the logic to stop then you are an alcoholic.