serpant star behavior????

mchandler

I bought some live rock, and i found a serpant star when i placed it in the tank. He was moving around for a couple days, now he's been hiding under this one rock in the same spot for the past 2 weeks. He has only 2 or 3 legs sticking out at any one time, but ive never seen his body except for once since i got him. I know there nocturnal, but even at night i poke around and NEVER see him out from under the rock. will he ever come out?
thanks,
matt

ophiura

No, this is normal behavior. Brittle/serpentstars do not spend time out in the open, especially during the day. The arms are extended to 'smell' for food, and food may draw the animal out for brief periods. However, the arms can be eaten by predators with no ill affects on the whole animal. If the whole animal was exposed, this greatly increases the odds that it will be eaten by something, or that more serious damage will be caused by a predatory attack. So, healthy brittlestars will generally hide under or very close to structure, and not spend much time in the open at all, even at night.

mchandler

i am just concerned that he is not getting enough food, but i guess if he's still alive after 3 weeks, then maybe there's no problem.
thanks.

ophiura

Actually, it takes most echinoderms 9-12 months to starve to death, at least for Linckia sp stars. Most will take many many months to show any signs of trouble. As was mentioned, try spot feeding by putting shrimp pellets or small bits of krill near the tips of the arms. You should certainly see movement of the arms when the tank is fed.

tamstoy

I hand feed my red serpent star. I take a frozen cube of brine or mysis cut it in half and just touch the arms. Mine actually tries to grab my finger also. It is so cool to watch them eat. If I have to put my hand in the tank for anything now it tries reaching for my hand. HTH!

j21kickster

Originally posted by tamstoy
I hand feed my red serpent star. I take a frozen cube of brine or mysis cut it in half and just touch the arms.

Do you feed it while it is still frozen?

tamstoy

j21kickster
I try to hold onto the cube until it is almost thawed but the very first time it just ripped it out of my hand and ate it still frozen. I was a little worried but it seemed fine!! By the time they get it to their mouth its basically thawed.