Serpant Star

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2852164
Yep, the red ones are great too. It is those darn green ones that get aggressive. They will not swoop up and kill your fish. Please don't get that impression. If a fish happens to be in the sand and fighting for life then he is likely to get eaten though.
How big do they get? The one I saw was pretty big. Each arm was around 8" or so.

natclanwy

Heres some old pics of my Green brittle star, it was about 18" in diameter then now its probably closer to 20-22" in diameter. I have been pretty fortunate so far, I purchased this star because I had always read that serpant and brittle star were great scavangers, didn't read until after I ordered this one that the green brittle stars can be aggressive. I've had this one for about two years. The last I knew taxinomically there is no differentiation between a brittle and a serpant star, but they are different. The serpants have smooth arms and the brittle stars have spines that run the length of their arms. They catch fish by hiding in a cave with their body raised so that they create a bridge and when a fish tries to swim through they drop down on them and with a star this size all but the largest fish would have difficulty getting away they are suprisingly strong.

ophiura

THere is NO biological distinction whatsoever between brittlestar and serpentstar. No behavior can be determined based on this I"m afraid. They are two common names for the same animal. THis distinction is only made in this hobby, yet the same species can be classified by different people as both. Meaning - it is meaningless. It depends on how the spines are held at that time. The scientific name is "Ophiuroid" whicn means snake or serpent like. The common name "brittlestar" refers to their ability to autonomize, or drop arms. This occurs in all members of the class Ophiuroidea.
The green brittlestar is a known predator in the wild. But it is clear that it is an individual issue with the greens in captivity - some are real issues, in any tank, and some just don't appear to be the same.
Other brittlestars (remember - same as serpentstars) are not known to be as problematic but they WILL eat dead or dying animals long before you may know there is a problem. Often the are accused of wrongdoing based on this and yet ironically it is why we put them in the tank.
Also, they should be fed...don't expect them to starve to death. That being said anything probably has the potential to eat something that comes by. It is very very very unlikely they will catch a fish (again, except the green), but a possibility. The brittlestar shown in the link, Ophioderma appressum, does not get particularly large and I would not consider it a high risk.
The one that is tan with a dark center is Ophiolepis superba and also very low risk.
FWIW I have a 45 g tank with 3 very large green brittlestars, and about 7 other larger species, with a 6line and a cleaner shrimp. I can't accuse them of any wrongdoing. However the tank is fed heavily to keep the risk low.

timlloyd

i have a 16" green brittle starfish and he ate one of my chromis last night, it was preety sad, but i preety much knew the fish was a goner before i went to bed. the little guy was sleeping on the sand, when i went to turn the lights on the starfish was in the same area the fish was last night. Im gonna get rid of the starfish

natclanwy

I'm not disputing that Green Brittle stars can eat fish, but how do you know the star ate your fish? Just because the star was in the same spot in the morning as your fish was the night before does not mean the star ate the fish. Also,if you found the fish carcass it most likely was not the star and the fish died for some other reason.

ophiura

Plus, they tend to be very large after consuming such a meal. chromis often have poor survival rates in captivity, and sleeping "on the sand" is not usual IME. If the fish was ill, it for sure would have been a target. I wouldn't rule out illness first.
Anyway, this is after eating a cleaner shrimp.

trouble93

This one has eaten about 4 fish he lives in the sump now...The last fish I saw it go after but before I could get to it it was to late. They will hang upside down in a spot where a fish hides after the lights go out and wait. It's about a foot across it will even go after my hand if I'm outside it hole.