serpent star yes/no

michellej

Do serpent stars really clean up waste like they say? And if I have a 75 gal with a chocolate chip star and a sand sifting star is it okay to get a serpent?

ophiura

1) Your sand sifter star stands a high chance of dying of starvation in 9-12 months, and is counter productive to cleaning the sand. It does not clean the sand. It stirrs it while consuming the critters you want to cultivate that clean the sand. When they are gone, the star slowly starves, unless if takes to spot feeding (not many do). I would return it or not buy it.
2) The chocolate chip star is not reef safe and is a threat to snails, clams, corals and other slow moving critters. Easy to spot feed, and relatively hardy nonetheless.
3) Serpentstars should not be left merely to scavenge and should be spot fed. They will do some "cleaning" but not a lot of "waste" (excess food but not poo so much). The green is a known predator, and others may (or may not - mostly not) display this behavior. They are nice interesting additions to a tank, but, IMO, should probably be added because you want one, not because you want it to do a job.
I would stick in that case with sand sifting snails such as ceriths, nassarius and conch.

marineman

serpent stars are useful in that they are very effective in locating uneaten food and consume it before it can deteriate your water quality. many are nocturnal and hide in the rocks during the day. do avoid the green ones! i had one that killed a royal gramma and he now lives in a section of my sump!

kails83

I have had a green serpent star for almost a year. He has done really well and I can't say that I have noticed any aggresive behavior. Is this a really common trait and I just got a wierd one? I am kind of concerned now although everything seems to be fine and I haven't had any problems with my fish disappearing or out right dying.
Is there anything specific I should look for?
Also what is "spot feeding"? I haven't heard of this before and since we are setting up a 250gal. I want to make sure I know what I should maybe be doing for my stars.
I was just talking to my husband and he reminded me that we did have a angel fish disappear but nothing else. So I don't know.....maybe. :scared:

marineman

many hobbiest and marine book writers have noticed the preditory actions of the green sea serpent. the larger they get the better they get at hunting fish, shrimps, etc. they are also good scavengers so may do fine in a tank without consuming hard to catch tankmates. they will also eat fish they do not catch but may die for other reasons like disease. but my royal gramma was healthy when he was attacked by my green searpent star. they form a cavelike ball with there arms and then collapse down when a fish enters!
:eek: :mad:

ophiura

And actually it was documented in the scientific literature as well....so the green is a known predator in the wild. Others are not known to be, but have demonstrated this behavior (or are reported to have done so - an important distinction) in captivity. It is a risk - any of them - but then many animals considered reef safe may have this issue (various shrimp, crabs, etc that don't behave quite as some say they will :D )

sprang

I would never trust a green brittle in any tank other than f/o, large ones being at that. Thay can live with c.chips, but remember you can't put any coral in with them or they will be an early breakfast for your stars. Brittles do make great scavengers though, just try not to get a green. Your sand sifter will die soon unless your tank is well established and large enough(at least 100 gallons). I would trade him in before he dies because it's pretty ugly to watch them deteriorate.