Setting my timers

0verfl0w

I just bought 2 timers for my lights today and I want to make sure I don't set myself up for an algae outbreak.
Actinics-on at 3pm
10k-on at 5pm
10k-off at 11pm
Actinics-off at 1am
Is that too much lighting? Maybe run the 10Ks for 5 hours instead of 6... :thinking:

T

tizzo

I run mine for 8 and a half. If your water is RO, you do not have nitrates or phosphates, and you have plenty of snails you should be OK running your lights even longer.

hot883

I run my 260w PC's from 8am-8pm. I flick the switch on them both at the same time. Of course the room that the tank is in is the living room so once we get up it's not like it's going from pitch black to 12 noon in a nano second.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by 0verfl0w
Thanks....what kind of lights do you have
Duel 250 watt halides (10K ea.) and VHO actinics...

0verfl0w

Tizzo...I have 192W PCs on my 65gal right now. My tank is 36"x18"x24" (I think I got that right...just in case it's 24" from top to bottom). I wanna add a 250W MH 10k retro. You think I'd be straight with that? Would I still have limitations in terms of what corals I can get?

T

tizzo

I am the last person who would know a good deal, but as far as lights, 250's should do you nicely, mostly because of the depth of your tank. Your water temp will be affected (mine is) but it's nothing a fan will not fix.