setting the cal reactor up again.. worried..

mr. tuna

I bought my cr-2 cal reactor about 5 months ago, it has been running for the first 3 months, then the pump burnt out. the pump was a MJ 1200. the problem is.. is that when the cal reactor wasnt running, i left the CO2 running, so i think it mixed in with all the calcium substance. now i am worried that if i will start it again, it will turn into mush and crash my tank.
One more problem.. i bought another MJ 1200.. but it isnt starting.. so i tried to work it in the sink, and it worked, but it doesnt work in the sump..?? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :joy:
Thank you.
_Adam

reefnut

IF the PH is very low the media may turn to mush but it will not crash your tank. I would take this opportunity to clean out the reactor and media... fill it with fresh saltwater then you have nothing to worry about.
MJ1200 are designed to run wide open... not cut back to a drip. I've ran mine for over a year and it still works well but every once in a while I'll pull off the hose and let it run.
Put it in the sump w/o the hose on until it starts and then put the hose on...

mr. tuna

i cleaned everything out with new saltwater, and now the problem is starting the pump. i tried to start it in the sump without the hose attached to it, and it worked, but it sprays water everywere! So i tried to hold the hose with one hand, and when it started to attach it, and it just sprays everywere! its a mess!
any suggestions?
Thank you.

reefnut

Try putting the hose on and twisting the pump's nozzle to see if it will start. You really shouldn't have this much problem with a new PH... can you return it for a new one??