Setting Up 180 Gallon

casper1875

I need some input. How do I level my stand before I put my tank on? I'm setting this up in my basement and it's going to be setting on concrete. The floor is not level. What do I need to do? I'm going out for about an hour. I'll check back in then.
Thanks in advance.

robdog696

I would not use shims. I used tool box foam under the front half of my 58 and it worked great. It was about an inch thick. But I'm not sure how well it would work under 180 gallons. I just think using shims you would not have even weight distribution and that could cause stress fractures or cause the plastic braces to crack in the long run. My 150 was a bit uneven at first, but the carpet foam under it seems to have helped even it out. Hope you find something that works. Good luck!

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by Robdog696
http:///forum/post/2696650
I would not use shims. I used tool box foam under the front half of my 58 and it worked great. It was about an inch thick. But I'm not sure how well it would work under 180 gallons. I just think using shims you would not have even weight distribution and that could cause stress fractures or cause the plastic braces to crack in the long run. My 150 was a bit uneven at first, but the carpet foam under it seems to have helped even it out. Hope you find something that works. Good luck!
What if you dont need an inch hight????what if you only need 7/8 or 13/16..........?
Use shims under your bearing points.

robdog696

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
http:///forum/post/2696660
What if you dont need an inch hight????what if you only need 7/8 or 13/16..........?
Use shims under your bearing points.
Well I guess he's just screwed since foam doesn't compress..................................? It comes an inch thick... it doesn't stay an inch thick. When setting up a new tank it is often recommended to put foam underneath the tank to allow it to settle evenly. Glasscages even states for the warranty to be valid on their tanks, a 3/4" sheet of styrofoam must be placed between the stand and tank. They do also say that shimming the stand is recommended on uneven hard floors. So the best answer, I guess, is both shims under the stand and styro under the tank.

rushprop

I think i would go with the shims. Or better yet find out how much you need and get some plywood and just cut a long strip that will fit across the front or back to raise it up, that way there isnt only one point of stress. Never heard of anyone putting styrofoam under a tank, seems kinda unnecessary. I think alot of companies just make you do crazy things to keep a warranty that way when you dont do it, they dont have to give you the new product.

casper1875

I guess I'm just concerned with the weight. That's part of the reason I'm putting it in the basement. I just did not count on the floor being that uneven. it's about 1/4" off. I had read that if you put styrofoam under the tank it's only to be placed where the plastic rim goes around the tank. I might try to check with All Glass and see if they have any specs for set up. I'm just getting really excited to set it up. My protein skimmer should be in today. Thank you all for the advice. My 75 was not as hard to get set up.

prime311

Mine's also in the basement. The floor is uneven. Its sloped slightly downward from the back to the front. The slope is also slightly different on the left then the right. I used different sized shims on the left and right, and a strip of wood along the front to cover the gap. Its a 125 Gallon tank with a 75 gallon sump below it, so over 175 gallons being supported by the stand.

spiked09

I just set up a 230 in the basement using cinder blocks. Most basements aren't level, they aren't supposed to be. They should be sloped to the floor drain.
I was wracking my brain as to what to use for shims as I don't like wood. If the wood gets wet and does not dry properly it can rott and due to the nature of a fish tank I figured my wood would stand a pretty good chance of getting wet a time or two in the life span of my tank. LOL
What I came up with was shingles, regular roof shingles. They are fairly water resitant and will only crush down so far. It's basically gravel stuck to paper using tar, even if all the paper dissolved you would still be left with gravel and tar. That is my thinking anyways.
Oh and I also placed my tank on a sheet of 1" foam, between the tank and the plywood. Foam will help level a tank to a degree.

naclfish

i use cedar shims its a pretty tough will hold out against mold and stuff. my brother used some old vinal flooring cut in strips

casper1875

I like both ideas. I'll see what we have around here. When my stand was made I had the wood sealed inside and out. The stand on my 75 is made of chipboard, I'll never buy that stuff again. When my filter was leaking it really made a mess of the chipboard.

rushprop

I kinda like the shingles idea, although seems like it would be tough to get it too look good and not look like you had a bunch of shingles peices under your tank. I see alot of people with tanks in the basement do to weight, but i have a 180 and have had it in my living room at three different houses. As long as you have it perpendicular to the floor joist you should be fine. I have had no problems with it, and that is having it in a 100+ year old house, and now a modular. I do have it right over the center beam in the modular though. Why not just use the cedar shims or use sealant on the wood you are using to combat the mold/deterioration problem? just a thought.

If you want to put a big tank on the upper floors all you have to do is sister is the joists under the tank. If its not a finished basement and you want to go all out put a metal support pole and some blocking under the tank. I would use wood shims and not even worry about. I use them to put doors in and they normally don't rot. I know salt water is worse than fresh but you'll be fine with wood.