Setting up a New 110g Reef

kgrimes

Hi All....

Been a member here forever (2004)...lurking since 2008. Had a reef in CA...moved to Iowa in 2008...had to tear it down and sell everything.

After snorkeling in Fiji, New Caledonia and Australia in January, I was inspired to take it up again.

Finally getting around to building something new.

Here's the first few steps in my built-in stand for my 110 (48x18x31) that I'm setting up.

It's going to be in a corner of my living room... The first pics show the stand (4x4 treated lumber with stainless hardware/brackets). I ran a dedicated circuit to it last night.

Next step is to paint the inside of the stand with marine paint, then get the frame built up to the ceiling.

Installing an RO unit in the basement right under the tank In the next couple weeks.

Here's the stand on the front porch (the 900 sq ft brick/stone walk was last summer's project...the 8' x 40' covered porch was the year before. ;) )

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

The Plan is to build "walls" around the whole thing to make it look built-in...we shall see I guess. ;) (the HVAC duct under the right side has been capped-off in the basement. There are 3 other vents in the living room, anyway) :)
IMG_1333.jpg

With the stand in place, I ran the romex up from the basement... (i'll be sealing the gaps along the floor of the stand soon, before I paint)...
IMG_1334.jpg

Then I installed a quad GFI outlet, and a watertight light and switch...
IMG_1338.jpg

IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1340.jpg

Thanks for reading!

Kevin

novahobbies

Woohoo, a fellow 110g reefkeeper! I'll be following along with interest! I love your corner built-in idea, and I'm looking forward to the build!

kgrimes

Look what I got from the beach in my avatar (Fiji). Gonna try to incorporate most of this into my rock work. They were all dead and washed up on shore. Let me tell you: my backpack smelled horrible for the rest of our cruise and then going through customs...... :rolleyes:

image.jpeg

kgrimes

Yah... A sad update. Ends up we may be moving soon, so I halted construction the day the tank arrived. I now have it, a seamless sum system... 200 pounds of lives and and about 150 pounds of rock in my garage. :( our house is for sale, and I took out all the stand, sump setup in the basement and RO/DI system I had built. :(((
Any updates?

kgrimes

Here's the last photo before I tore it all out to get the house ready to sell (the cardboard is the face of the tank).

image.jpeg