Setting up a new 75 gallon FOWLR.

ivan m

I am in the process of setting up an empty 75 gallon with FOWLR, i have had saltwater fish tanks before, but that was about 15 years ago. My one question is what filter would you recommend? I DO NOT want any type of corals. The tank is NOT drilled and i DO NOT want to drill it, i am thinking more of an Overhang type to a sump, but i would like a very good one that would pretty much include everything to plug and play, i am not afraid to spend the money for the correct one. I also already have a MAGDRIVE 950 pump that i could use in the sump. All heaters have been bought and 1 Powerhead along with 2 Korylia 2750 pumps for water movement have been purchased. My hardest decision will be the filter/sump. I understand that canister filters are frowned upon for saltwater set ups and therefore have discounted even looking at those on DR FOSTER AND SMITH. Thanks for any and all advice. Please guide me in the direction of how to best filter this tank. After i decide on filter i will go and buy 60-75 pounds of live rock. I also understand everything about the RO/DI systems. My help is solely for what best filter system to run this small saltwater tank. i Say small because i also have a 180 gallon tank but i keep my FRONTOSA in there and i also have a 90 gallon with malawi cichlids, the 75 will be my only Saltwater tank. Thanks again.

mr llimpid

I personally like wet/dry systems for FOWLR tanks, because how much area bio balls give you. That being said you need to maintain them or they will produce nitrates.

ivan m

I don't mind a WET/DRY, what would you recommend for a 75? Also i am assuming it will still be a hangover the back style to send water down and i will still be able to use the magdrive 950 for water return. NO?

mr llimpid

Yes you need the internal over flow, if you find a unit that has a third compartment (for growing macro) it would be usefull. And yes your 950 pump will be fine for a 75gal tank. You are looking for a x10 return including the head pressure. You are at 950gph and you only need 750gph so you have enough gph including loss for head pressure.

ivan m

I have decided on the eshopps 150CS Wet/Dry. I know its a little over kill but for just a mere 20 dollars more than the 125CS to me appears like a no brainer, besides the 125CS is on back order. I Have not ordered just yet, so if anyone has an thoughts on this wet/dry neg or positive please chime in. Thanks in advance. Looks promising and includes everything but the PUMP which i already have the MAGDRIVE 950.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan M http:///t/396453/setting-up-a-new-75-gallon-fowlr#post_3532443
I am in the process of setting up an empty 75 gallon with FOWLR, i have had saltwater fish tanks before, but that was about 15 years ago. My one question is what filter would you recommend? I DO NOT want any type of corals. The tank is NOT drilled and i DO NOT want to drill it, i am thinking more of an Overhang type to a sump, but i would like a very good one that would pretty much include everything to plug and play, i am not afraid to spend the money for the correct one. I also already have a MAGDRIVE 950 pump that i could use in the sump. All heaters have been bought and 1 Powerhead along with 2 Korylia 2750 pumps for water movement have been purchased. My hardest decision will be the filter/sump. I understand that canister filters are frowned upon for saltwater set ups and therefore have discounted even looking at those on DR FOSTER AND SMITH. Thanks for any and all advice. Please guide me in the direction of how to best filter this tank. After i decide on filter i will go and buy 60-75 pounds of live rock. I also understand everything about the RO/DI systems. My help is solely for what best filter system to run this small saltwater tank. i Say small because i also have a 180 gallon tank but i keep my FRONTOSA in there and i also have a 90 gallon with malawi cichlids, the 75 will be my only Saltwater tank. Thanks again.

Hi,

Welcome to the site!

When it comes to filters, they all have their pro's and con's. The only filter not usable is the under gravel type, because of the weight of the live rock. There is no reason to give a rats behind if folks frown on your choice of filter, as long as it does it's job.

To be perfectly honest, if you don't have a drilled tank, no way would I recommend any sump of any kind. They clog, stop working and overflow creating all kinds of trouble. I know this because I have a beautiful sump system, but my tank isn't drilled, I have the CPR overflow...that THING has crated all kinds of problems with overflowing. I must admit the sump system is absolutely the easiest to keep up on maintenance and the cheapest, but because of the overflow box it isn't worry free. So my personal opinion is that if the tank is drilled by all means go with a sump, otherwise... I wouldn't. Any tank I set up now...I will have drilled.

One huge plus of having a sump, is that the in-sump skimmers are awesome, to date I haven't found any HOB skimmer worth two cents.

I have had canister filters on my reef tank for over 10 years, not one single flood, not one single problem in all those years, and it ran 100% quiet. As long as you make sure to clean it once a month....there are no issues. I loved the spray bar, it allowed me to aim my power heads toward the rock to keep them clear, as opposed to pointing one at the surface. If a canister can keep a reef system happy, it can do FOWLR

Another filter to consider is the HOB, and the HOB with a refugium is even better, those little sea critters are free fishfood. The media is so easy to swap out and clean up, and they create some surface movement as well...but a power head still needs to be aimed at the surface.

If you want a truly easy to maintain tank....use macroalgae. That stuff is like the magic answer to everything. There are all kinds of macros.... from the kind to keep in the sump, to the pretty stuff to keep in the display. Check out Golf Coast Ecosystems
. With macroalgae, you don't even need a skimmer. It feeds on ammonia, nitrite, nitrates and phosphates, keeping them at a beautiful 0, even if you don't do regular water changes. so no matter what type of filter you decide on, I would recommend macroalgae.