Setting up my 125 gallon...

hook

Originally Posted by seannmelly
looks like a good start, gonna put any more live rock in there?
yeah i'll probably throw a few more pieces in there... not too much more though... would i have to start my cycle over if i did that?

howard947

Nice looking tank. Please learn from my experiences, you need at least 1 lbs. of live rock and sand per gallon (hence 125 lbs of each). I know this will be sticker shock (around $750-$1,000), but needed. DO NOT add a little rock at a time. It will probably cycle your tank everytime (depending how cured the rock is). This is dangerous for your tank inhabitants.
This is the reason most beginners start off with a smaller tank (less rock, sand, light, filtration, skimmer, etc).

mopar9012

Originally Posted by Howard947
Nice looking tank. Please learn from my experiences, you need at least 1 lbs. of live rock and sand per gallon (hence 125 lbs of each). I know this will be sticker shock (around $750-$1,000), but needed. DO NOT add a little rock at a time. It will probably cycle your tank everytime (depending how cured the rock is). This is dangerous for your tank inhabitants.
This is the reason most beginners start off with a smaller tank (less rock, sand, light, filtration, skimmer, etc).
i would put more than 125 pounds of LR in there....i have 45 pounds in my 29 gallon. and add it at one time..if you dont you will definitly regret it

torno

I disagree. If you purchase cured live rock from an established tank, like your LFS, your tank shouldn't cycle because there should be no die-off. However, if your source comes directly from the ocean, that's a different story. Many hobbyists, myself being one of them, buy a little rock from their LFS each time they visit, like cherry picking the pieces themselves, then add them to their tank without going through a mini cycle. As far as the rule for how many pounds per gallon, it all depends on bioload and your other means of filtration. A person with a 125 gallon tank with only a powerhead would need more liverock than a person with a canister filter/and/or Hang On Back filter. Could you tell us a little more about your stocking plans?

hook

Originally Posted by Torno
I disagree. If you purchase cured live rock from an established tank, like your LFS, your tank shouldn't cycle because there should be no die-off. However, if your source comes directly from the ocean, that's a different story. Many hobbyists, myself being one of them, buy a little rock from their LFS each time they visit, like cherry picking the pieces themselves, then add them to their tank without going through a mini cycle. As far as the rule for how many pounds per gallon, it all depends on bioload and your other means of filtration. A person with a 125 gallon tank with only a powerhead would need more liverock than a person with a canister filter/and/or Hang On Back filter. Could you tell us a little more about your stocking plans?
already have a bio ball filter set up also
... and i think 70 pounds of live rock... i plan on doing a community tank, different assortments of fish... gonna scope the lfs for more liverock

torno

With the bio balls as your other source of biological filtration, I think you're fine. People don't seem to understand that liverock works as biological filtration, and if you have other means of biological filtration on top of that, that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune on liverock. Also, by purchasing your live rock from you local fish store, and the rock is cured, your tank WILL NOT go through a mini cycle.

hook

Originally Posted by Torno
With the bio balls as your other source of biological filtration, I think you're fine. People don't seem to understand that liverock works as biological filtration, and if you have other means of biological filtration on top of that, that you don't neccessarily need to spend a fortune on liverock. Also, by purchasing your live rock from you local fish store, and the rock is cured, your tank WILL NOT go through a mini cycle.
really? thanks for the info man!