setting up my tank

gotfish

Went out and bought my tank yesterday. Set up everything.
I got a 90 gallon
sealife wet/dry
40 lbs of ds
20 lbs of ls
25 lbs of lr
300 watt heater
My question is do I have enough live rock? for now!!
Till I can get more in a month or so. If not is there an alternative for the short term. And what to you think about "cycle" in a bottle. does it work? or is it garbage?

carrie1429

25Lbs of LR is ok for right now you can always add more later. I think you should just do a normal cycle, one of the main things in saltwater is patience. If you rush into it you are going to have problems, I sggest you just go slow with a normal cycle, just my opinion.

surfnturf

"cycle" in a bottle seems to help somewhat, but I wouldn't use it, just let your tank cycle on its own, your LR has plenty of bacteria to seed the rest of the tank. Was the LR already cured? If it was, you may need to add something to get a cycle going in your tank, a few people are suggesting throwing a raw shrimp in the tank and letting it decompose, this sounds a lot better to me than using damsels. If the LR wasn't cured, or if it was shipped to you, you don't need to worry about adding anything to get the cycle rolling. HTH

carrie1429

Originally posted by maxtceee
i heard of ppl urinating in their tank to start a cycle anybody ever heard of this

Eww, that would be like toxic to your fish :eek:

gotfish

I want to thank everybody for there feedback.
I am going to get more live rock today. The lps is going to give me a break on another 30 lbs. I brought my water for a test at the lfs and everything checks out perfect so far. no amonia good ph and ok nitrates or nitrites. just taking my time and learning everyday.
thanks again.