Setup for my tank to top off water

plum70rt

I looking to use a 45 gallon trash can to fill with RO/DI water to use as top off, How and where can I get a float / pump to do this ? I want to add it to my sump ? any suggestions or Info is appreciated:)

barracuda

This is my current top-off system. Future plan is to add solenoid and timer, so that it will top-off only at night.

plum70rt

Thats a good idea, but gravity feed wont work unless I have the tank higher than my sump, I want to use a 45 gallon trash can which will be at same level as my sump , :(

barracuda

In this case, as BigMac mentioned you will need a dosing pump. It's very expensive piece of equipment.:(

I use the "Reef Filler" for top offs. My 45 gallon reservoir for the newly installed RO/DI (thanks for your help by the way) is in the shower in my basement bathroom. From there, I pump water to a 20 tall under the FOWLR which sits close to the filter/sump. The automatic top off system then pumps the water at the desired rate into the sump. So far, so good!
As for cost, when compared to the cost of many other things we all use, it was nominal. I got it a while back, but I think it was roughly $200.00 or somewhere thereabouts.
If this system sounds like it might work for you, check out your latest issue of FAMA for pictures and better description. :)

rook

I use a lifereef float switch. I love it. Best purchase I have ever made for my tank. Works both in tank and insump and can be used with an r/o system.
Also very presice. Keeps my water within 1/4".

sskram

PlumRT70, Hello! I have a 240 gallon, and used to use a 40 or so gallon container as both a RO DI storage tank for future saltwater mix's and as a top off source for evaporation purposes. It worked well, but not a 100 percent! The tank was off grade, enclosed in its own room, so spills weren't a problem, but you could easily have 40 gallons in your tank due to a malfunction along the line some where. I now use a 7 gallon bucket, a float switch(pressure), and a Magdrive 500. When the levels in the sump change to the eqivalent of about 3 or 4 gallons, the pressure switch kicks the mag on for just a few seconds, maybe once a day. Salinity is right on, and the risk in a failure is 7 gallons, plus the RO DI refill. A lot better than 40 or more gallons.
I have a seperate 32 gallon container for salt water mix now, that is tee'd into the RO DI output. I have the RO DI on an automatic shut off valve so that the unit shuts off when there is no load on the unit. So far so good! Steve

blondenaso1

BigMac, where in heck did you find that dosing pump? I have been looking for something like that for a while. I search E-bay all the time. I found the float switches, but I agree with you. I would wrather use a dosing pump then a PH.