Setup Question:)

tipsicat

Hi :) A kind of silly question... :eek: Does it hurt to have the water (and salt mix,of course) in the tank with filter and skimmer going for a few days without anything in it?
I am ordering my Live rock and Live sand on Mon.,but I would like to set up the tank tonight. Or do u guys think I should wait till Sunday. Thanks, as always :D
Tipsi
[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: TIPSICAT ]

Hi , if the tank is not cycled yet you should not run the skimmer, as for the filter no problem with that. turn skimmer on when cycle is compleate. since this is a new setup you can add the water but with the sand and live rock , you will have to remove some of the water when you do this, I added ls first then the live rock then the water , hope this helps
[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: fixitdude2001 ]

tipsicat

Hi FixitDude :)
Thanks so much for the quick reply. So I shouldn't run the skimmer (CPR Backpack) While the rock is curing? I am ordering from TampaBay salt water, and I think they said I should turn the skimmer on when the LR/LS goes in...(and do water changes as the spikes come)...HELP :(
Tipsi

hi tipsi, If you do water changes during the cycle all this will do is prolong it, are you cycling with the live rock and sand? and if you run skimmer when tank is new it can remove to much and you want a fast but good cycle, I am going to cycle next tank with raw shrimp, And if you use true lllive rock and true live sand you should have fast cycle if any. when you get your rock smell it there should be a clean ocean smell, not ransid, call and ask if they ship the live rock in water and the sand...cya

panchito

hey tipsi when did they tell you would get your rock? I ordered from TB salt 2 weeks ago and still havent got it. dont know whats up?
Panchito

Hi panchito, If they are taking that long I would cancel, The place I get the stuff these guys dont sell comes from california and, I live in michigan I get it next day unless you order it on friday. If you want to know site e mail me or leave me a message on my web site....cya

tipsicat

Originally posted by Panchito:
<STRONG>hey tipsi when did they tell you would get your rock? I ordered from TB salt 2 weeks ago and still havent got it. dont know whats up?
Panchito</STRONG>
Hi Panchito...
I did'nt order yet...but now you're makin' me think twice :(
I'll call them and let U know what the say to me....
Tipsi
ps...guess i'll go with GulfView

tipsicat

Hi FixitDude :)
Thank U for all the help. It was very confusing to get all this conflicting info., but that is what this hobby is like...a million and 1 ways to do everything :)
...But what U said made a lot of sence.The only question I have is, if you leave the cycle to run it's course without the skimmer or water changes to bring the ammonia down, won't all the live stuff and hitch hickers on the rock die?
This Rock and sand I'm getting comes with a lot of critters in it from the ocean...I don't want them to suffer...what do I do :confused:
Tipsi

tipsicat

Originally posted by Maestro:
<STRONG>I aree totally with fixit and i dont think u should go with TB
Good Luck :p</STRONG>
Hi Maestro :)
...No, I'm not. Seems they are haveing a lot of problems over there at TampaBay(???)...So I decided to go with GulfView. They have incredible reviews from everyone. And ALWAYS answer E mails and questions.
Incedently, why don't U like TampaBay?
Tipsi

Hi tipsi, like I said if its true Live sand and true live rock you wont have a large cycle, if you use partial Ls and some regular sand , wich a lot do the cycle will be longer, all the stuff didnt die from our first cycle, second cycle came when we changed from cc to live sand but, only lasted a week, everyone is happy now. if you do go with ls and lr your rock and sand will start imediatly so dont put large amount of fish in at one time, start the bio load slowly so the sand and rock can biologically take care of it.[ One fish a month if things are good is a good rule],,,cya :)