Sexy Shrimp

s_l_pugh

Does anyone know about this shrimp?
My LFS carries them.
Are they beneficial for the tank? If so, what/how?
Thanks.
Sarah

I have 3 Sexy Shrimp in my 12 Gallon Nano and I love them. They are an anemone shrimp so will hang out in one of those if you have one or the next best thing. They stay small get no bigger than a inch. They always have their tails in the air and do their "sexy" little dance, fun to watch. Just make sure you don't have any fish that may eat ornimential shrimps. Very cute little buggers, everyone that sees them just love'em.
Really no maintence, they eat anything and everything. If you have an anemone they will keep it clean.
:)
NewBe

s_l_pugh

Thanks for the reply.
What type of fish would eat them? I have 2 yellow tails, one maroon clown, and a tang. I have a 55g. Would the sexy shrimp be lost in this tank.
Now, what is a nano exactly? I have a 10g I think that would work as a nano. Do I set it up like I did the 55g? Suggestions and opinions would be appreciated.
Sarah

mdhyde

I have two sexy shrimp in my tank and I LOVE them. They are very interesting highly visable critters. They hang out on my carpet anenome, but they will jump off and clean everything. Last night, they were on my sea cucumber. He lifted his head and the sexy shrimp climbed on his mouth cleaning it.
They are very beneficial! They will eat algae and generally clean your tank for small items. Also mine move around and I think they stimulate corals. They get on my gorgonians and when they are there, the polyps open up more. Same with my zooanthids.
I would highly recommend them. Very hardy and very interesting. Aveage price $15. I got mine on sale for $7.99 each.

mdhyde

and they are fine with your fish. Fish that would eat them are like groupers, puffers, triggers, etc.

Would they fight with a clown over an anenome? I have seen these shrimp and I also think that they're very interesting.
Miles

mdhyde

I seriously doubt they would fight over a anen with a clown, but I couldnt be 100% sure of this. You could try it.
If they did battle, the clown would easily drive off the shrimp and they are fast enough to get away no problem. Plus they will live near ANYTHING. Polyps, gorgonian, even mushrooms. So chances are if a clown has a anen they will pass this over to occupy something else.
And VERY important. They PREFER to live in groups. Buy at least 2
Plus they do not need an anen to live in; they just like it.

marco333

I have also been wanting one of these. Except that my maroon has alreasdy claimed my bta, so theri is no chance the sexy shrimp could have that, and my pepermint shrimp acts like he owns the whole tank:(
Do you think the shrimp will go on a ricoridia mushroom?