SFE in trouble?

armageddon

well my SFE went on kind of a rampage tonight. First when i was feeding, he mistook a humu humu's pectoral fin for a piece of krill and ripped a piece off. Later i was feeding it with a feeding stick i made that i thought was sturdy. He ripped off a piece of wooden dowel rougly half an inch long and .1 inch in diameter. I think he ate the thing. If he did any predictions on what will happen? he ripped the thing off and retreated into his cave and just has his head sticking out now.

bdhough

Hmmm Naughty eel.
If he ate it he certainly can't digest it. Its possible it may pierce his insides in which case he may die. Maybe his stomach is like a sharks and the little piece will just sit there till he dies one day. The humu will recover. All you can really do is keep an eye out for the piece and an eye on the eel. Oh i guess watch the humu for any kind of infection on the tail.

armageddon

I am really just wondering if he is going to die or not. Its been almost a day since he swallowed the stick. I can see it in his gut, but it has not pierced his side.

bdhough

Well. I don't know. Try posting SFE with wood in stomach and see what you get. I don't know if the wood can poison him or what. I imagine not since wood can certainly reach a reef. He may have trouble swimming through holes and such obviously. You may be able to take him to a vet and have it removed but that could be expensive. I guess its like him swallowing a rock. He may even be able to digest it some. He can digest fish bones and shrimp shells....