sfe or zebra!!!? cant decide!

treybom

ok well i cant decide whether to get a sfe or a zebra
i think they both look pretty awesome! the zebra is pretty pricey.... who here has one!?.. i want an eel that is really active... which one of these two usually come out the most?? i think i will base my decision on that!
thanks
trey

00nothing

i voted zebra jsut cause my SFE is a lazy sod who only comes out when i ring the dinner bell, but i love him anyways

treybom

lol .. i saw ur video i think it was you at least??? this is a tough decision but thanks for your input!

whitey

I would never trade my Zebra for a Snowflake.
Snowflakes are too common, and can get aggressive. Zebras are pretty docile.
Mines got a great personality and does come out from hiding pretty frequently.

treybom

Originally Posted by Whitey
I would never trade my Zebra for a Snowflake.
Snowflakes are too common, and can get aggressive. Zebras are pretty docile.
Mines got a great personality and does come out from hiding pretty frequently.
awesome! is he more black or brown in person?? what size tank do u have him in? what else is in there with him? how long have you had him? what size tank?? sorry for all the ?'s just trying to learn as much as i can o and if u dont mind, how much did u pay for him

whitey

Originally Posted by treybom
awesome! is he more black or brown in person?? what size tank do u have him in? what else is in there with him? how long have you had him? what size tank?? sorry for all the ?'s just trying to learn as much as i can o and if u dont mind, how much did u pay for him

He's black. I've seen real reddish brown ones, but he is pure black and white. The flash on my camera makes him look a little brown in the pic.
He lives in a 125 with a Guineafowl Puffer, Yellow Tang, and a Volitan Lion. I also have a Gold Speckelled Eel that he gets along with fine.
I got him for under $75 but that was during a 20% off sale. You can easily find them for a little under $100

95harley

I went with the SFE for the simple reason that I like a somewhat aggressive tank and my SFE is very active all hours of the day. Always swimming back and forth between my two caves and coming out to say "Hi".
All Zebra's I have ever seen are always curled up in a dark spot and not very active. But U do like their colors and the fact that they get bigger and are not as common.
Really depends on your taste.
I think you'll be happy either way.

treybom

it seems like i cant go wrong with either.... looks like some people are saying that the sfe is lazy and some are syaing theyre active.. same goes for the zebra..... i would love to see some more comments and experienced keepers of these eels to post some comments to make my decision alot easier!

unleashed

well it depends of you want a fish stocked tank or not sfe are much more comunity freindly in comparison to a zebra.as with any eel how active it is wil depend on that particular eel.price full size those are also a factor just be sure which ever you chose you know what it needs and make sure its needs are met. both are cool fish

treybom

Originally Posted by unleashed
well it depends of you want a fish stocked tank or not sfe are much more comunity freindly in comparison to a zebra.as with any eel how active it is wil depend on that particular eel.price full size those are also a factor just be sure which ever you chose you know what it needs and make sure its needs are met. both are cool fish
ya im doing a tons of research on both eels

toughguy80

My SFE actually tried to attack some of my fish as he got a little bigger. As for activeness, he'd normally have a head sticking out, but I never really saw all of him much. I had to return him to the LFS.

juddster

They are both beautiful eels, I have a sfe in my reef tank and he is a lot of fun to watch, I just got a zebra last weekend, he is large and in charge! Good luck you wont make a bad choice here!!

treybom

Originally Posted by Juddster
They are both beautiful eels, I have a sfe in my reef tank and he is a lot of fun to watch, I just got a zebra last weekend, he is large and in charge! Good luck you wont make a bad choice here!!
thanks! i think im gonna go with the zebra!

Obviously I went with the Snowflake (avatar). I looked at the Zebra at first as well as a couple of others but the Snowflake caught my attention with his curiosity. He would follow my hand around the tank and I hand feed him from time to time. Whichever eel you decide to get, make sure your tank is WELL secured because these guys can be experts at escaping.

S

surfinusa

snowflakes are cool when young but they grow up and turn almost white but zebras every body says that zebras are almost out all the time ***)

S

surfinusa

oh yeah my snowflake killed over 120 dollars of fish so i sold him to the pet store