Sfe

prk543

The absolute minimum i would do would be a 30, but that could get cramped for the SFE, I would say a 45gal tank would be a good starting point. I've seen Snowflake eels reach about 18 to 24 inches, so I would say if you had something more than 40 gallons your eel would have plenty of space to move around, and you should be able to add damsels for movement and an emergency food source. (add the damsels last).
Also be sure to secure all openings in your tank, because they can and will escape when given the chance.
Prk543

mboswell1982

Snowflake Eel
(Echidna nebulosa)
QUICK STATS
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Semi-aggressive
Reef Compatible: With Caution
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.020-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Max. Size: 2'
Color Form: Black, Tan, White
Diet: Carnivore
Origin: Indo-Pacific, Vanuatu
Family: Muraenidae
The Snowflake Eel, also known as the Snowflake Moray Eel, Clouded Moray, or Starry Moray, is one of the most beautiful morays, and inhabits caves and crevices throughout the Indo-Pacific reefs. In the wild, it can grow to 39 inches; most captive specimens will not exceed 24 inches.
This is a very hardy eel, but an escape artist. A 50 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and a tightly fit canopy is ideal. Most of the eels that are lost in an aquarium are due to poorly sealed tanks. The Snowflake Eel is safe to house with any fish it cannot easily swallow. It can be housed with some invertebrates, like anemones and corals, but not crustaceans.
The wild Snowflake Eel is a nocturnal predator, ambushing fish and crustaceans. In the tank, it will take frozen or freeze-dried krill, fish, shrimp, and most meaty foods. It can be taught to hand feed, although this should be done with caution, as it can inflict a painful bite.

mboswell1982

hope that answers your question patriot, an SFE in your tank would be a bad idea, sorry man, its just a wee bit too small

prime311

55 Gallon Minimum. SFE's grow very fast and even if purchased small will outgrow any smaller tank very quickly

salt life

Tell me if I'm wrong but when they put the min. tank size for any fish, that is just an opinion on what size tank they will be able to live in for a period of time. IMO a SFE shouldn't be put in anything less than a 75g if you plan on keeping it for its life. It is still an eel who needs to have its roaming space, just because it is a smaller species of eel that we keep doesn't make it any less of a fish that we need to provide a strivivng habitat for. I've seen SFE over a foot long in 55 gallon tanks and they don't they just don't have the room they need or should already be provided.
sorry if I sound rude but it should be obvious, we take the fish from the ocean, we should atleast put them in a nice size tank.

I will agree that they grow fast. For all pracitically purposes on my birthday I purchased (basically) a hatchling SFE, while he is currently in my 30 gallon, he will be rehomed by February whenthe 90 gallon I get in january is done cycling and since i am lucky enough to have an eel that likes to be out and about, I can see how much his is growing on a daily basis.

sean48183

Your 12g is too small but I would say like a 3' long tank is fine. Mine is around 20" and lives in a conch shell which he sits in all day until feeding time. I'm really not sure how he fits in there. Here is cruisin around the tank at feeding time just to give you and idea of how long he is.

sean48183

Yeah he packs in the shell with only his head sticking out the bottom. Must coil his body all up in the shell. I'll try to post a pic of it.

synjay6661

Thanks!
But i did a little reading last night on what the mini. tank you could have for one of these these babys is a 55 g. thats what the recominded because it gives them room to grow and they arents cramped up