Shark -Big Bump under mouth (W/pics)

chana

Here is the story:
This fish is about 4 1/2 years old was sold at a LFS to somebody and returned after aprox 2 years(tank to small). The shark was resold to another person and this guy had it for about 2 1/2 years and returned it to the store(Tank to small). He said this bump started to develop about 2 weeks before returning it. It has been at the LFS for about 3 weeks and doesn't seem to be getting smaller or bigger.
I came into the picture the day it got returned to the fish store. The person who returned it had it for sale on C/L. I did not have my tank ready yet and he said he already called the LFS and it happend to be the LFS I always use.
So it is still there on hold for me. I want to try and take care of the shark and have no idea what to do about this lump.

The shark is eating fine and laying eggs.
there are no noticeable abrasions on the lump.
The lump looks kinda brownish red
The shark is about 2' long
Currently in a 1000 gal tank

crimzy

That's a goiter. I've successfully treated my ray when it had this condition. It can mean a nutritional deficiency or an iodine deficiency. I treated by soaking the food in iodine, providing a more varied diet and feeding Mazuri shark vitamins. Do a search online for the vitamins... they are great. I still feed them to my rays.
The condition takes a long time to develop and also takes a while to dissipate. Good luck.

chana

YES!!!!
Thank you Crimzy !
That is great news.
I was worried it might be a tumor or something

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/2923735
That's a goiter. I've successfully treated my ray when it had this condition. It can mean a nutritional deficiency or an iodine deficiency. I treated by soaking the food in iodine, providing a more varied diet and feeding Mazuri shark vitamins. Do a search online for the vitamins... they are great. I still feed them to my rays.
The condition takes a long time to develop and also takes a while to dissipate. Good luck.

Wow, hope you are correct about this one, because I am clueless with this. Thanks for the input!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by txfishman
http:///forum/post/2927316
maybe it needs to be added to the disease and treatment thread at the top of the page?

I was thinking exactly that. Great minds....

crimzy, if you are interested in doing a paragraph write-up, pm me.