shark egg

slicknick

I've heard that cat sharks grow to the size of the tank and are not always aggressive. would it be possible to hatch one into my 85gal tank with a clown, juv im angel, and large hippo tang? I really want one but don't want to have to buy and start an all aggressive tank. I don't really care if it get doesn't get that big and my friend says his not aggressive at all and that he has been feeding it by hand since it hatched. Again I'm asking because I would like to get opions from experience.Thanks Nick:)

bandcamp

our just hatched monday night - we thought the egg was dead since it had been in the tank since late july/early august - i'm still learning about it - check my post aaah shark

wrigley11

That would be a no... I love that line 'the fish will get as large as the tank'. In your 85, the shark would get as long as your tank if it could live that long. Most cats are in the high 30 - low 40 inch range when they are done growing.
About the question. you probably could get away with the shark in a 85 for about a year... But that depends on your decor in the tank. After about a year you will start to have problems. The clown will probaby disappear one day, right around the same time that it can fit in the sharks mouth.
If you don't want to get a new tank... don't waste your money or the life of a shark.

nightraven

I am curious about where these shark eggs are coming from. Are sharks not normally livebearers? This would mean female sharks are being cut open to harvest eggs for the Aquarium Trade. This would upset me very greatly. Anyone know?

bandcamp

from what i've read some sharks lay eggs (i.e. brown banded cat shark), some sharks hatch their eggs inside them (i.e. whale shark), and some sharks give birth to live young (i.e. great white shark).