Shark Feeding

blizz

I have a brown banded bambooshark and since it hatched i have been feeding it shark formula. Its around 3 months old now and i think its past time to get it on a better diet. I was wondering what would be the best things to feed it and where i could get it.

bullshark

I had a bamboo for a while also. I did not hatch mine, but kept it for a few months. I fed it seafood from my local grocery store. Shrimp, scallups, clam, fish flesh, etc. I feel this is a fantastic diet for the sharks.....

mattiej

Blizz, Bullshark is coreect in that a varied diet of marine flesh is the way to go. I would also suggest you continue to use the shark formula as it has vitamins and minerals that may be lacking in other foods. I would also suggest you use some form of food supplement every few days. I use Kent Zoe for my sharks and have been pleased with the results.

gasguzzler

Natural, unfrozen fresh seafood is all my sharks and rays get. I used the shark formula a few times and with the way my elasmos eat, the tank would cloud for about 12 hrs. Definately keep up with the multi, anything that has vitamins b,c and iodine. The rewards will be a very healthy animal and a rediculous growth rate.

blizz

Thanks for the info, and just before i wrote this reply the shark was swimming around in open water. I hope that means it is happy, because the only other time this happened was when it was attacked by my eel.

conogre

Blizz, like myself, you're a Florida resident.....for any shark, eel or larger marine fish, for the best results think "BAIT SHOP".
My brown banded bamboo hatched in December and is approaching 24", being fed bait shrimp, squid, feeder fish and clams.
I go out with a minnow seine and collect 1"-3" pinfish, grunts, croakers, etc. and freeze them in zip lock baggies...this way the shark gets not only flesh but bone calcium and gut contents as well...in other words the diet the formulas are trying to reproduce!!!!!!
It's truly hard to beat Mother Nature's Own when it comes to foods.
If you're ever up Clearwater way, stop in...you're more than welcome and the guest room is always open for fellow fish addicts.
Mike

bullshark

24 inches and he hatched in December!!!!!
WOW. Thats a healthy shark...
I will be down to stay in the guest room in a few months....:)

conogre

Her name is "Bambi"...as in "Bambi the Brown Banded Bamboo Shark" (say that 5 times, quickly **grin**)
The only qualifier for the guest room is being willing to pull the other end of the minnow siene for feeders and specimens (spinal injury here...trust me, it's not hard)
Here's one of the percs that come with the live feeders....I've had this one over two years and it was dime sized when I caught it as compared to the dwarf lion in the photo for size reference.
It's a Lookdown (Selene vomer)

conogre

AND they make good companions for sharks.
While the sharks lay on the bottom or in the LR the lookdowns NEVER utilize either, thus you're utilizing two seperate parts of your aquarium and maximizing space and minimizing competion.
The one thing I've found with the lookdowns is that they do best if obtained very small and allowed to grow into the tank.
Larger wildcaught specimens are more likely injure themselves running into the tank ends.
Here's the same fish 2 years ago.

conogre

Going to try and breed them?
I went back and got a male after my female hatched, but I never could get it to eat andit lasted a total of 4 days.

gasguzzler

Hopefully some kind of breeding is in my future. Id really like to see my Calis have some pups, but well see which pair goes first. The male bamboo is about 3-4 weeks behind the female age-wise, so he still has a few more inches to go to catch up before they are both ready. I just hope the 980 gets done before then. That way, the tank theyre in now can be a hatchery!!!

conogre

Now THAT would be awesome.
I've had my dwarf fuzzy lions spawn 62 times so far, but natch no-one has ever succesfully raised one in captivity past 9 days.
Talk about frustrating!

eiffergan

Maybe someone could help me out here -
My baby bamboo doesn't seem to want to eat any frozen foods whatsoever. But, as soon as I put a live feeder fish in the tank (Rosie Reds), he goes crazy. I feed him with a tong, and he grabs the fish right away, but he can't seem to get the whole thing in his mouth, and after about 30 mins he gives up. I'm going to look for smaller feeders, but any other suggestions on feeding him? Should I go get some fresh seafood?

gasguzzler

Fresh seafood is all mine have got since hatchlings. Try sticking a small thread of scallop on the stick with a SMALL feeder. Gradually move to taking the fish away so all thats left is the food. I have never had this problem with my sharks, but have used the same thing for lions. You just have to trick them!:joy:

conogre

Try some moist catfood, as in the foil pouch, preferably "seafood banquet" or such...it comes in various sizes such as cuts, fillets, niblets, etc.....if you have a cat, let the cat lick off all of the "gravy" and then use the leftovers.
If no cat, then place in a collander, strainer or similar and rinse thoroughly so as to was away any traces of anything greasy.
Add sparingly at first, then stand back and watch the magic.
While this may sound illogical at first consider any National Geographic special you've seen,"first we take this smelly concoction to draw the sharks in, called chum..."
Then consider that in the early hatchery days, salmon were actually reared on catfood, and lastly, some people use the term bamboo shark and cat shark interchangably.
What could be more logical for a "cat shark" than catfood?
My Brown Banded Bamboo Shark, "Bambi" is 13 months old (it hatched in my tank, so that's a precise measure of time) is approaching the 24" mark and while it eats many things the catfood is her favorite by far.

eiffergan

Conogre -
That's a very interesting method. How do you feed the cat food? On a stick, or just drop it in the water and hope the shark goes after it?
Part of my problem is that the shark is a timid eater right now (still kinda young), and I have some agressive eaters in the tank (porc puffer, speckled sandperch, and marron clown), all of whom eat live food.

conogre

If you use the seafood variety it won't harm any of the others that eat it (believe it or not my 12" Vlamingi tang LOVES it, too!) and yes just place the appropriate amount on the bottom.
Don't be surprised to see your sharks' attitude change somewhat, as they are scent oriented, much like the eels.
You can also try small amounts at 2-3 different locations, such as near the sharks' favorite den and all the way at the other end of the tank to draw the others away.
Once she catches on and starts growing, the difference is unbelievable (I'm willing to bet yours is female...after checking a couple of local LFS's stock it appears to run about 90% females)
I also just learned the hard way NOT to use the "gallon glass jar as a fish trap" method to remove fish with a 2 foot shark in the tank.......getting her back out of the jar was a trip!**grin**