Shark ID Please

runn3rb3an

I think its a coral catshark. Its eating good as of now and pretty active at night and during feeding. I think it ate one of my b&w ninja clowns

anyway anything in specific I should know other than the basics? Im going to try feeding silversides, live feeder shrimp, and clam cubes.
max size is about 20 inches? thanks

E

eric b 125

it looks like a coral catshark to me. it also looks like its eating well

runn3rb3an

Oh yea it definitely looks like it eats well haha thanks for the ID.
It ate a lot of silversides at the lfs before I brought it home and ate my black and white clown last night so I wasn't too worried when it didn't eat anything today lol.
Right now he's just been wedged under some rocks all day, any tips anyone?
Thanks

runn3rb3an

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3157997
its probably full. give it a few days. Sharks dont eat every day. how big is that shark and in what tank?
Right now I would say its anywhere from 6 to 8 inches. Fully stretched out it looks like the tank is about 5 times longer. Right now he's swimming around and stuff but I can't get an acurate size right now. The pics of it were in a 5 gallon bucket if that helps.
The tank is a 90 but I have rearranged the rock into 2 columns as recommended for a larger swimming space. It will be going into a 240 though by christmas the LATEST! I'm not too worried tho. This guy looks pretty healthy and small enough to be comfortable in the tank for a while untill the upgrade IMO.
That's pretty much it for now I guess. Ill get some pics of the tank up tomorrow so you can see if there is adequate room.
Oh yea right now I have a koralia 4 and a maxijet 600 pretty much blowing across the top half of the tank, do these guys like more flow than that or that's good?
Feeding is planned to be 2 to 3 times a week with silversides and clams and live feeders. Is this ok?
Lastly I have it with a niger trigger, bluethroat, small dragon wrasse a regular clown and my remainig b and w clown. Are any of my fish in danger do you think, especially after the first clown?
Thanks and sorry for all the questions. Feel free to make comments/suggestions!

runn3rb3an

Ok thanks. It may be a problem down the road but for the few weeks I've had it its been the most shy out of everybody.

runn3rb3an

This thing ate all 3 of my clownfish already! Do you think my niger and bluethroat are in danger? I also have a small dragon wrasse.

jp30338

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/3159459
This thing ate all 3 of my clownfish already! Do you think my niger and bluethroat are in danger? I also have a small dragon wrasse.

I would be more worried about the niger picking at the shark...
The wrasse may become a snack at some point depending on how small it is.

jp30338

Also, that looks more like a banded bamboo shark, than a coral cat. The bamboo sharks get about a foot larger than the true cat sharks.

runn3rb3an

Oh really? How can u tell the difference between the 2? I'm pretty sure its a coral cat though.
The trigger is no threat at all. He shoots into the nearest rock when I get within 6 feet of the tank and actually gets picked on... Or use to by my clowns.

jp30338

Originally Posted by runn3rb3an
http:///forum/post/3159609
Oh really? How can u tell the difference between the 2? I'm pretty sure its a coral cat though.
The trigger is no threat at all. He shoots into the nearest rock when I get within 6 feet of the tank and actually gets picked on... Or use to by my clowns.
Bamboo sharks are banded whereas the coral cat sharks have a more spotty, irregular pattern.
Also, the true coral cat shark is trpically more expensive than a bamboo as they are harder to find.
Look up the scientific names of each:
Coral Cat Shark:Atelomycterus marmoratus
Marbeled cat Shark:Atelomycterus macleayi
Bamboo Shark: Chiloscyllium punctatum, Chiloscyllium plagiosum
If you google, you will see a very distinct difference in the patterns.

krj-1168

Actually that shark is definitely a Gray Bamboo - Chiloscyllium griseum. They max out at about 30 inches (76 cm).