shark keepers opinions

mmedley

my friend purchased a shark egg, it hatched no problem, it's feeding fine on squid and is very active in his tank (during the day even)......this seems to be the opposite of everything i have read or have heard others share stories about. Most people say a they don't live once they hatch, they don't feed and die, eyes are picked out by other fish or they don't move around at all during the day.....they just sit at the bottom of the tank.....i was thinking about getting a shark egg since my firend had so much success but now i am wondering did he just get a "lucky egg"......anyone had experience in this? i went to my lfs and they had some eggs coming in but he said once they hatch they don't do anything during the day and he showed me one they had in a tank and said it's been in the same spot for 8hrs straight......

krj-1168

my friend purchased a shark egg, it hatched no problem, it's feeding fine on squid and is very active in his tank (during the day even)......this seems to be the opposite of everything i have read or have heard others share stories about. Most people say a they don't live once they hatch, they don't feed and die, eyes are picked out by other fish or they don't move around at all during the day.....they just sit at the bottom of the tank.....
Well - it not really the opposite. Since generally speaking - depending on the situation it's pretty much true. But there are certain "keys" to successfully raising a shark from the egg.
One of the best foods to start newly hatched shark pups on - is tiny bit size pieces of either fresh squid or fresh shrimp. And sounds like your friend is doing somethings right.
As for did you friend get a "lucky egg" - I wouldn't say that exactly. A better term - would be to say he got a healthy egg & shark.
Still - if you want shark egg - my best suggestion following your friend's exact example. Even there's still no way to be 100% certain - that you will be as successful as he's been. Although it will likely increase the odds that you are.

crimzy

A couple of points for you:
(1) You did not mention what type of shark your friend got. Some species are more active than others.
(2) Sharks can be made more active during the day by feeding them during the day. They will learn to hunt before and after feeding time.
(3) Given the right tank, sharks are not as delicate as many people will have you believe. They are actually a pretty hardy animal, provided they are in the right tank with appropriate conditions and tankmates.
(4) Some fish will pick at the eyes and fins of sharks. This is why it is important to have appropriate tankmates.
(5) Your profile says that you have a 90 gallon tank. I wouldn't put a shark in a 90 gallon tank unless you have a significant upgrade planned in 6-12 months.
(6) Success with any fish in this hobby should be measured by years and not weeks or months. Hopefully your friend has the right setup but only time will tell.
I wouldn't judge your chances of success by your friend's. Each situation is completely different. Good luck.

ophiura

All of the things posted tie into people who are inexperienced keeping sharks, have them in the wrong conditions, with the wrong tank mates, and frankly...have no business keeping them. Sorry.
IME hatching cat sharks (about 26 of them), the majority hatch. I've lost a couple to lack of feeding, a couple to climbing out (few people realize that they will climb over rocks), but the overwhelming majority grew very very very fast and within a year were at least 16-18 inches long.

krj-1168

Originally Posted by ophiura
All of the things posted tie into people who are inexperienced keeping sharks, have them in the wrong conditions, with the wrong tank mates, and frankly...have no business keeping them. Sorry.
IME hatching cat sharks (about 26 of them), the majority hatch. I've lost a couple to lack of feeding, a couple to climbing out (few people realize that they will climb over rocks), but the overwhelming majority grew very very very fast and within a year were at least 16-18 inches long.
This is true - which is why raising a bamboo shark - either as a pup or from the egg - is such a Catch 22.
In novice hands - there's the very real potential the shark may not survive. However in experienced hands they're likely to reach maturity fast.
Keep this in mind - a 6" Brown-banded Bamboo pup can become a 36" Adult in only 4 years.