shark movement in egg?

marc42fe

Hey does any one know round about how often a brownbanded bamboo shark moves in its egg? I've had mine now for a week and he was moving a lot but now I haven't seen any for a day or so and I'm worried. The yolk sack is pretty small and I think he is about 6 inches long. Do they rest for a while before hatching? He seemes to have like slumped in the egg whereas he was erect and his head and tail were at opposite sides now they touch, been that way all day now. please, some reassurance is in order I wont do well and cannot be responsible for my actions if he ..........

swtanks

It's probably getting ready to hatch. There was a lot of movement before because the pup had room to move. Right before they hatch, they are cramped in the egg. If it is about 6 inches now, expect it to break free pretty soon. It should hatch right after the yolk is used up.

marc42fe

Cool! Thanks, I hope so. I still think I'm going to get the other one at the lfs tomorrow, just to be sure. There's a lot of facinated kids waiting for this to happen and I don't want to let them down.

underthesea

If the eggsack is used up he is going to hatch real soon. The two I have raised I have assisted the hatching of the pup by cutting the egg carfully and letting the shark come out. As long as the egg is pretty much used up and there are no other fish in the tank that can hurt him I would do this. Once he hatches it will take a few days to even a week to get him to feed and he might not be to active. When you do start to feed him use very small pieces of squide at the end of a skewer(sP) it is going to take time and patience but it is worth it. Any other questions just ask

underthesea

If the eggsack is used up he is going to hatch real soon. The two I have raised I have assisted the hatching of the pup by cutting the egg carfully and letting the shark come out. As long as the egg is pretty much used up and there are no other fish in the tank that can hurt him I would do this. Once he hatches it will take a few days to even a week to get him to feed and he might not be to active. When you do start to feed him use very small pieces of squide at the end of a skewer(sP) it is going to take time and patience but it is worth it. Any other questions just ask