Shark Tank Filtration

cincyreefer

The shark tank is about 27' x 9' x 4 1/2'. The main worry during setup was whether or not the one side of the tank would hold ok... It was on an outside wall of the store, so we built a basic 2 x 4 wall structure alongside the actual wall. Then we filled in the that wall structure with styrofoam on either side, to allow for expansion and contraction for heat/cold. As far as the bottom of the tank, we just put down about a 4" layer of sand under the liner.
For the remaining 3 sides, it is actually rather simple. We just used the rebarred cinder blocks (not actual cinder blocks that you normally see, but same basic idea) that go about 2' down into the ground, and filled with concrete... I am not sure about the exact concrete used. Then on the inside of that there is a layer of styrofoam. A wood structure was also built in the corners to round them off at about a 30 degree angle.
The pool was then covered with a liner made by Tetra (similar to roofing liner, but suppose to be better quality). That was pulled tight and then nailed and glued in, on the top layer of cinder blocks.
Around the acrylic viewing windows, we have a 2 x 4 structure similar to the one on the outside wall. The acrylic was then set in place on the inside of the liner by screws inserted every few inches in the wood frame, and massive silicon was used to seal it on the inside and out. We then used an exacto knife to cut the liner out of the viewing section and scape off the extra silicon. I can't remember the exact thickness of the acrylic, but i think it was about 2 inches.
Then to finish off the pool, we put a wood trim around the top of the blocks with acrylic shields slanting in to prevent the sharks from jumping out and people reaching in.
The overflow is located on the far end of the picture and goes into the sump that is shown where the cabon bucket is dripping water in as well. The water flowing in on the left side of the picture is the water coming in from the overflow. The 2 returns are on the same wall, with two being up along the surface and two being lower down on the tank.
I know this is somewhat vague, and it is hard to describe without pictures, but I would be happy to answer any other questions.

D

daniel411

Thanks Cincy!
I'll have to make it down there one of these weekends!
Are you able to keep your nitrogen cycle levels low enough to not require water changes?
Or do you have scheduled water changes on a yearly basis?
How long has it been up and running?
What is the capacity of the pumps you're useing for circulation?

wobbe87

Thanks cincy, that is one aweome pond I gotta say. I think that my pond will be somewhat like yours but arounds 2000 or so. I was going to make a pond the shape of an oval so the sharks dont bump in the corners. And I was gonna do what you did cincy with the block but instead of that I was going to put up some real nice lookin wood around the sides. Also for the dimensions I was thinking something around 12X6X3 1/2 ft. Get something like that going in my head so far. Now after reading that gave me a lot of good ideas for the conctruction thanks!

cincyreefer

Originally posted by zemuro114
what are fluidized sand beds? i hear about them and are quite confused???

Fluidized sandbeds are just set up to maximize surface area on the sand by keeping it suspended in the water. The more surface area, the more nitrifying bacteria can grow on it. Also, by keeping the sand suspended in the water it will stay in O2 rich environments so anerobic respiration won't take place. They work pretty well, but not the best use of space IMO.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Thats so awesome! How about some pics of feeding!:yes:

Yeah I am working on trying to find a host for the video. Feeding them is one thing I never get tired of doing. It is quite amusing watching them splash water everywhere as they are tearing apart their food. We even had to move our motion detectors by the pool because the male has been getting more aggressive towards the female lately and they have been setting off the alarm by splashing so much water.

zemuro114

how do u suspend the sand? I;m workin on getting a 400+ gallon tank for my growing fish so taking up space really isnt an issue.. are fluidized sandbeds worth it though? its gonna be fish with live rock and some coral and anenomes... nothing fancy... no really hard things to take care of.. any suggestions?

cincyreefer

Originally posted by zemuro114
how do u suspend the sand? I;m workin on getting a 400+ gallon tank for my growing fish so taking up space really isnt an issue.. are fluidized sandbeds worth it though? its gonna be fish with live rock and some coral and anenomes... nothing fancy... no really hard things to take care of.. any suggestions?

Sand is suspended by water being forced upwards from the bottom. No, I dont really think a fluidized bed is worth the time and money... unless you have a large cylinder and pump sitting around.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Thats awesome, has anyone been able to breed blacktips in captivity?

As requiem stated, they have been bred in captivity. They are really not suppose to be all that difficult as long as their needs are met. We are hoping that they will breed.... The female should be mature anytime within the next year.

cincyreefer

Originally posted by requiem
Cincyreefer read a book on breeding fish by Jay Hemdal a collegue of mine.
Requiem

Thanks, I might look into it. Although I am fairly confident the little bit of experience I have will be similar to anything I can read from most books... especially since I have read most of them already.